how do you resize a vdisk qemu-img doesnt work

comet424

i tried to follow space invaders video but it doesnt work

qemu-img resize vdisk1.img 60gb

i tried to resize my windows down from 100gb to 60gb 

but the error i get 

qemu-img resize vdisk1.img 60G
WARNING: Image format was not specified for 'vdisk1.img' and probing guessed raw.
         Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images, write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
         Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.
qemu-img: Use the --shrink option to perform a shrink operation.
qemu-img: warning: Shrinking an image will delete all data beyond the shrunken image's end. Before performing such an operation, make sure there is no important data there.

ive replaced  resize with raw  and --shrink    but its not working 

whats the proper format to resize  things.. as video is from 2017  and no longer works

is there something else i need to add i been experimenting  different words adding in  but doesnt work

Have you already shrank the partition inside the disk image with windows disk manager? When you look in disk management inside the windows client, there must be free unallocated space at the end of the drive equal to the amount you want to shrink the vdisk.

It's probably going to be easier to do a windows backup and restore it to a new vdisk of the size you want.

ya in the vm  i followed space invader... so i did shrink disk.. it reduced the disk and gave me 46.5gb free something like that i not at the computer now to check..

i was trying to reduce my 100GB vms down to 30-50gb since i made them but on a 1TB drive doesnt take long to fill

not sure how i do a windows back up and restore  to a new vdisk  is there a video?

• 2 months later...