Cache disk not emptying

unraidbiff

Hi all,

Apols is this is already covered but couldnt find an answer anywhere.   I setup a 4TB HDD as a downloads cache disk for media downloads as detailed by spaceinvader, i.e the Shares "Downloads" is setup for "Cache Pool = Yes" and deluge downloads to "incomplete" then moves to "complete" folders.   I then am manually moving from "Complete" to other shares e.g. "Movies" that are not cached.  However when moving from "Complete" to "Movies" which is not configured as a cache, the files are not emptying off the Cache disk?  i have tried manually invoking "Mover" but nothing is happening.

Any suggestions are more than appreciated!  Many thanks!

6 hours ago, unraidbiff said:

Hi all,

Apols is this is already covered but couldnt find an answer anywhere.   I setup a 4TB HDD as a downloads cache disk for media downloads as detailed by spaceinvader, i.e the Shares "Downloads" is setup for "Cache Pool = Yes" and deluge downloads to "incomplete" then moves to "complete" folders.   I then am manually moving from "Complete" to other shares e.g. "Movies" that are not cached.  However when moving from "Complete" to "Movies" which is not configured as a cache, the files are not emptying off the Cache disk?  i have tried manually invoking "Mover" but nothing is happening.

Any suggestions are more than appreciated!  Many thanks!

Exactly how are you doing the move?   Ideally it should be a copy/delete.    The problem comes that if you are using a move at the Linux level you are potentially bypassing the User Share system as Linux is not aware of User Shares. Linux implements move by first trying a rename and only if that fails does a copy delete.   This can result in the file ending up in a new folder on the same drive corresponding to the target User Share.

OK thanks Trurl! :)  so from what i understand then, i shouldn't be using the Krusader Move Command, but should first Copy then delete?

In order to clean this up, should i really reformat the cache disk?  if so, should i be making a backup copy of the files first as i am not 100% certain if the files have actually been moved tbh?

User shares are just the combined top level folders of array and pool disks. When you moved from Downloads to Movies, the files got renamed to a new path on cache instead of being moved to an array disk. You can just move that top level Movies folder on cache to the top level of an array disk. They are all part of the Movies share whichever disk the folder is on.

I always use built-in Midnight Commander (mc at the command line) when working with files directly on the server. I would just bypass user shares completely and move from cache to an array disk. If Krusader is configured to allow you to work directly with the disks you could do it that way too. Just be sure you don't do #1 in that link I gave.