Disk Print_req_error: I/O Error Problem

Carpy

Hello,

I have started to get the following errors on my server. 

Sep 13 23:36:06  kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sdh, sector 19532873408
Sep 13 23:36:06  kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdh, logical block 2441609176, async page read

This happens multiple times for a particular drive. This is with WD red drives connected to an LSI 9300 HBA. 

Funny thing about the issue is that is allows effects the drive that is labeled "drive 3" in the array. I have swapped drives (got same errors on both drives), data cables, and the power cable at this point. Issue always seems to come back for some reason. Any idea?

Thanks!

Tried restarting and now I can't get the server to boot into a state that I can remote into it through the IP address on my main computer. I tried logging into unraid directly at the server and it lets me enter the user and password, but get an unable to connect screen after that

Unplugging the data cable from that drive got the server to boot again. Tried plugging a different drive into that port and it once again would not boot. Unplugged it again I was able to remote into the server (although it wouldn't work directly connected to the server). I am starting to think it might be the HBA? Got the original drive connected directly to the motherboard now and it is in the process of doing the extended self test.

Just not sure why a potential HBA problem would complete crash the unraid software? Does that even make sense?

28 minutes ago, Carpy said:

Unplugging the data cable from that drive got the server to boot again. Tried plugging a different drive into that port and it once again would not boot. Unplugged it again I was able to remote into the server (although it wouldn't work directly connected to the server). I am starting to think it might be the HBA? Got the original drive connected directly to the motherboard now and it is in the process of doing the extended self test.

Just not sure why a potential HBA problem would complete crash the unraid software? Does that even make sense?

Pls disable bootable @ HBA BIOS. or Double check does mobo BIOS boot order correctly point to USB flash.

Do I need to switch it back to the HBA for the extended test or can I leave it on the sata port on the motherboard since it is running the extended test already? When I go look at the spin down delay, it is "greyed" out and say never because a test is in progress. 

Edited by Carpy

Error on "sdh" only and disk SMART look fine not like disk issue.

Device Model:     WDC WD101EFAX-68LDBN0
Serial Number:    VCG3ZJVN

6 hours ago, Carpy said:

Funny thing about the issue is that is allows effects the drive that is labeled "drive 3" in the array. I have swapped drives (got same errors on both drives), data cables, and the power cable at this point. Issue always seems to come back for some reason. Any idea?

You have 5 disks connect to HBA, so have 3 port free. Have you try connect problem disk to those free port to verify HBA dedicate port relate ?

8 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Error on "sdh" only and disk SMART look fine not like disk issue.

Device Model:     WDC WD101EFAX-68LDBN0
Serial Number:    VCG3ZJVN

You have 5 disks connect to HBA, so have 3 port free. Have you try connect problem disk to those free port to verify HBA dedicate port relate ?

I have swapped around the breakout cables on the HBA ports a couple of months ago when I first had the issue. Problem went away for like a week, but came back. I can swap them around again though just to confirm

Just now, Vr2Io said:

Pls also check SATA power plug and cable.

I have... I have tried multiple power cables and sata cables. This issues has shown up with two different drives in the same location. The drive currently connected is the pre-cleared spare that I kept in the chassis and swapped with the original drive when it started having the same issue. Originally, I thought a drive went bad, but clearly not the case at this point.

17 minutes ago, trurl said:

In what sense are they in the "same location"? Is it a backplane?

basically just performed a drive swap. Same power and sata connections and physical location in the server. After that, I start swapping out the cables.  The physical location is probably not relevant information, but it just helps me keep track of what is where in the server

Edited by Carpy