Drive moved from Array to Unassigned after reboot

Hi all,

I have a 5 drive array, 2 parity, 3 for data. I have yet to need to rebuild a drive so I'm treading cautiously as it is new territory for me. Not to mention the length it will take to rebuild a 14TB drive...

After a reboot the drive was missing but shows up in Unassigned devices. It is mountable and browsable and all seems well. The issue is that when I go to add it back to the array it tells me it is going to erase the drive as if it is not the same drive. Wiping and rebuilding seems a bit unnecessary since all the files are there.

Any way to find out what the "missing" drives name was and rename the drive since it seems to have grabbed a new drive label? Any other suggestions on a less painful way of adding the drive back other than rebuilding?

I'd move data from the unassigned drive to the array but there is more data than there is free space...

Thanks in advance!

dreammachine-diagnostics-20210914-1850.zip

Edited by Sir Lurkcelot
Diagnostics added
15 hours ago, Sir Lurkcelot said:

The issue is that when I go to add it back to the array it tells me it is going to erase the drive as if it is not the same drive. Wiping and rebuilding seems a bit unnecessary since all the files are there.

It isn't going to "wipe it", it is just going to rebuild it. Rebuild overwrites the entire disk so no point in "wiping" it.

Since you rebooted before getting diagnostics, can't see why it was disabled, but most likely a connection problem.

When a write to a disk fails, Unraid disables the disk. After a disk is disabled, it isn't used again until it is rebuilt (or new config to rebuild parity instead). All reads of the disk are emulated from the parity calculation by reading all other disks. All writes to the disk, including that initial failed write, are emulated by updating parity.

It is out-of-sync and has to be rebuilt to recover those writes to the disk that happened after it was disabled.

You either have to rebuild the data disk, or rebuild parity, to get your array back in sync, and it is the data disk that is out-of-sync.