How can I find out what is writing to my USB and killing it in mere months? (Also need 2nd license for the year pls fast :( )

veruszetec

So, title. Just went through my second samsung doublechecked, sandisk ultra fit drive in a single year. obviously i have something writing to the drive frequently, but i can't seem to catch it in the act with lsof. I have a new drive in there now from a no-name brand that's hopefully better, but I need to track down the offending log or whatever.

Anyone have any ideas how to track down what's killing my drives? Any bash scripts or custom commands?

(also if staff could prioritize my key replacement email/ticket that would be super helpful, i'm dead in the water atm and can't start the array, partially making this post just for visibility since the replacement key thing said up to 3 days)

Thanks!

I might point our that the sandisk ultra fit is a USB3.1 very small USB drive.   These types of drives tend to run hot for a couple of reasons. 

First, they are 3.1 which means they were designed for very fast read/write speeds-- not low power consumption.  This cause them to run hot.

Second, because they are small, they also have limited heat dissipation capability. 

These two factors seem  to combine to shorten their life.  Basically, you want a USB2.0 Flash Drive with a full size profile made by a manufacturer of memory chips.  That gives you the best shot at getting a quality long fasting drive.  (Years ago, some folks used 4-8GB Flash Drives because their cells were larger but I don't think that is the case today!)