Properly Sized UPS for 15-20 Drive Unraid

SuperW2

Is something like the APC BX1300G, 780 Watts / 1300 VA,Input 120V / Output 120V, Interface Port USB work for a 15-20 Drive (non LP, all 7200 RPM drives with lots of fans) system... I have 20 drives powered up right now, with 16 on my Array and the other 4 once I decide I need another SATA Card)

I really only want a few minutes to try to force a graceful shutdown in the event of a power blink/outage.  I've dropped power 4 or 5 times the last 2 weeks and running Parity Sync/Checks that often is getting kind of old.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1300G

I really don't want to spend $150 (or wait for another $100 deal), but if I need one this big to provide the couple minutes I need to try to get UnRaid to Auto Shut down.

I used one of the Power Supply Estimators and with the drives and fan It recommended something 650-680 watts (for a PS) and I'm running an OCZ 700.  I have a Kill-A-Watt meter on it have yet to see it go over 400 Watts at boot up or really any time.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Wade

A APC Smart-Ups 750 for $100 would likely work for enough time to shutdown. You could always test it and the return it for an upgrade if it doesn't work.

I'm not seeing a "Smart-Ups 750" for $100... Google Shopping has an average price between $250-300

Does unRAID work with these devices auto-shutdown over USB functionality?

Yes.  I have one of the Back-UPS 800 units ( http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR800I ) connected via USB.  It works just fine.  unRAID logs short term power failures, but anything longer than the period I have set in apcupsd, the UPS support plug-in, (5 minutes in my case) and then unRAID shuts down.  The cool bit is that the plug-in tells the UPS to shut down after a further delay, so that the server has power right to the end and beyond before the UPS switches off cleanly.  As soon as power comes back, unRAID is back up in less than a minute.

Used Smart Ups 750 with new battery up and charging now... installed the APC and Clean Power Down Packages from Unmenu and it appears to be working (at least I can see it System Info->UPS Status).

I didn't change any of the default settings, so not sure if it will shutdown my UnRaid Server after a 5+ minute power outage, but I hope so.

I'll let the battery fully charge and then can do some "unplug" testing.

With all my drives spun up, it was listing (again this is while the battery is charging and only at 40ish% charged per the BCHARGE)

Spun Up = LOADPCT  :  43.5 Percent Load Capacity

Spun Down =  LOADPCT  :  24.7 Percent Load Capacity

Wade

Be careful unplugging.  I've heard of issues doing that, as some UPS's work on the basis a ground connection is present (i.e. even though the power is off, the top plug pin is still connected to earth).

I understand the desire to test, and not sure how much of this is speculation vs. fact, but just wanted to highlight to you before you pull any plugs.  Perhaps safer to go throw the circuit-breaker wired to that outlet - would be a very real simulation of a power failure!

Mine doesn't give the peak figure.  This is what I can get...

UPS Status

(from /sbin/apcaccess status)

APC      : 001,044,1087
DATE     : Mon Apr 04 20:48:57 UTC 2011
HOSTNAME : Tower
RELEASE  : 3.14.3
VERSION  : 3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware
UPSNAME  : Tower
CABLE    : Custom Cable Smart
MODEL    : Back-UPS BR  800 
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Sat Mar 26 23:48:13 UTC 2011
STATUS   : ONLINE 
LINEV    : 244.0 Volts
LOADPCT  :   8.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  68.9 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 10 Percent
MINTIMEL : 5 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 300 Seconds
OUTPUTV  : 230.0 Volts
SENSE    : High
DWAKE    : 000 Seconds
DSHUTD   : 000 Seconds
LOTRANS  : 194.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 264.0 Volts
RETPCT   : 000.0 Percent
ITEMP    : 29.2 C Internal
ALARMDEL : Always
BATTV    : 26.9 Volts
LINEFREQ : 50.0 Hz
LASTXFER : No transfers since turnon
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag
SERIALNO : 3B0951X24834  
BATTDATE : 2001-09-25
NOMOUTV  : 230 Volts
NOMINV   : 230 Volts
NOMBATTV :  24.0 Volts
NOMPOWER : 540 Watts
FIRMWARE : 9.o5 .I USB FW:o5 
APCMODEL : Back-UPS BR  800 
END APC  : Mon Apr 04 20:49:21 UTC 2011

So I can spin up all the drives and get a figure, but it's not the peak start up power.

Archived