Bluetooth Dongle Missing Firmware

Kuijibo

I made this post on Reddit, but I think here is more applicable.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to Linux.

I got a Bluetooth dongle that is supposedly long-range, but when I run bluetoothctl, no default controller is available. After some googling, I found that when I run dmesg, I get:

[  210.883031] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin failed with error -2
[  210.883032] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: firmware file rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin not found

After some more googling, I wasn't clear on how to install firmware for my dongle. Most sources I could find involved copying the firmware into the /usr/lib/firmware directory, but on unRAID that firmware directory is nonexistent.

There may be some assumptions I'm making about Linux because I come from using windows all my life and unRAID for about a year or two.

I've also found that the firmware should be included in unRAID.

Edit: I might be wrong about it being included. I swore I saw a forum post about it being added, but I can only find this post and there is no definitive answer given.

Edited by Kuijibo

Yeah I've actually already done it with another, shorter-range bluetooth dongle. I'm hooking it up to Xiaomi Mi Flora sensors. 

I saw a post somewhere else where someone was asking for the firmware to be included in the release (the 8761 realtek firmware) and a reply was posted that said, we'll include it in the next release. So, it should be included.

Edit: in topic about being included in unRAID

Edited by Kuijibo

Update:

From that forum post I passed through /dev/bus/usb/001/002 (which is my Bluetooth dongle) and ran hciconfig in Home Assistant's console.

/config # hciconfig
hci0:   Type: Primary  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00  ACL MTU: 0:0  SCO MTU: 0:0
        DOWN 
        RX bytes:63 acl:0 sco:0 events:6 errors:0
        TX bytes:18 acl:0 sco:0 commands:6 errors:0

Two things stand out to me here. The first being that there is no BD Address for the device.

The second being the DOWN flag on the device. when I run hciconfig hci0 up I get:

/config # hciconfig hci0 up
Can't init device hci0: No such file or directory (2)
  • 7 months later...
On 9/16/2021 at 9:31 PM, Kuijibo said:

Yeah I've actually already done it with another, shorter-range bluetooth dongle. I'm hooking it up to Xiaomi Mi Flora sensors. 

I saw a post somewhere else where someone was asking for the firmware to be included in the release (the 8761 realtek firmware) and a reply was posted that said, we'll include it in the next release. So, it should be included.

Edit: in topic about being included in unRAID

What did you end up getting?

I also want to connec tto my flora sensors but ever since i moved my server to the attic it wont connect. (using built in bluetooth on MB)