Lost 90 TB due to ignorance.

glimsmack

Almost always, the most important thing you need to do is capture your complete syslog, BEFORE YOU REBOOT!

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I rebooted already. I know better.

Is it a problem with a hard drive?  

No, this is absolutely an admin ignorance issue

First, tell us the exact version of Unraid, the plugins and addons you have loaded, and what hardware you are using.

Unraid Version: 6.8.2

M/B: MSI A88XM GAMING (MS-7903) Version 1.0 - s/n: To be filled by O.E.M.

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version V1.3. Dated: 10/20/2014

CPU: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics @ 3900 MHz

HVM: Disabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 192 KiB, 4096 KiB

Memory: 32 GiB DDR3 (max. installable capacity 32 GiB)

Network: eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.19.98-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.1.1d

Uptime: 0 days, 00:19:28

Plugins

Community Applications

CA Auto Update Applications

CA Backup / Restore Appdata

CA Cleanup Appdata

Preclear Disks

Unraid Nvidia

I recently changed out a cache drive. I have docker running out of cache for plex/streaming purposes. I put the new drive in and restored a cache backup I made with the backup/restore plugin. All of that went fine. When I restarted docker, it didn't see any containers running. I stopped docker and went back to a share I created for docker to run in cache and changed the "Use cache (for new files/directories):" to "only"(This share existed before cache drive swap). That is when I noticed that my array of 90tb was now using the exact amount of data that is on the cache drive which is about 90gig. 

Am I hosed? 

unraid-diagnostics-20210916-1630.zip

Edited by glimsmack

OTOH, unless every drive came up as unmountable when you swapped out the cache and then formatted them, I don't really see how this is possible.  What are your settings for the Appdata Backup/Restore.  Did you change anything when you restored?  Did you ever run the Cleanup Appdata during this process?

What are your settings for the Appdata Backup/Restore.

Screenshots of Appdata backup/restore attached.

Did you change anything when you restored?

Just what I mentioned previously about changing "Use cache (for new files/directories):" to "only"

Did you ever run the Cleanup Appdata during this process?

No I did not.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 5.30.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 5.30.19 PM.png

You have your appdata share specified as /mnt/cache. That isn't a share, it's a disk. Not entirely sure what the consequences would be but it seems like it would backup all of cache to the specified backup folder when doing backup, and replace all of cache with the files from backup when doing restore.

For comparison, I have my appdata share specified as /mnt/user/appdata.

Also, you are using a very old and deprecated ca backup plugin. That one was completely replaced some time ago.

Difficult to understand what specifically your replies are replying to. You can quote a portion of a post by selecting it and clicking the Quote selection popup that appears, like this:

1 minute ago, glimsmack said:

that is what unraid was for.

I assume you mean you don't have backups because you thought parity would save you from something other than a failed disk, which it won't. Parity is not a substitute for backups. Many, much more common ways, to lose data than a failed disk, including user error.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Difficult to understand what specifically your replies are replying to. You can quote a portion of a post by selecting it and clicking the Quote selection popup that appears, like this:

I assume you mean you don't have backups because you thought parity would save you from something other than a failed disk, which it won't. Parity is not a substitute for backups. Many, much more common ways, to lose data than a failed disk, including user error.

I know. That was the risk I took.

It appears that on that old version and setting it to backup the cache drive instead of the appdata share results in the plugin deleting /mnt/user0 so that the restored copy of /mnt/user/ShareName (which you don't have) is an actual restoration with no extra files.  Your best bet at this point is to invest in UFS Explorer, and recover the files via pulling the drive and tossing it into a Windows Box

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

It appears that on that old version and setting it to backup the cache drive instead of the appdata share results in the plugin deleting /mnt/user0 so that the restored copy of /mnt/user/ShareName (which you don't have) is an actual restoration with no extra files.  Your best bet at this point is to invest in UFS Explorer, and recover the files via pulling the drive and tossing it into a Windows Box

I figured that was going to be the answer. That is unfortunate. @Squid@trurl I appreciate you taking the time to try to help. Thank you.