email notifications stopped working

i have had email notifications working fine for over a year out of the blue they stopped working 

ive tried to re add the email server but on test i get the error  cannot open smtp.gmail.com:587 ive tried every port i can find with the same error but the port changes to the one i tried ive also tried hotmail with same results 

ive tried to use the terminal  telnet smtp.gmail.com 587 as well as all other ports all results come back:

root@TardisDataCore:~# telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
telnet: smtp.gmail.com: Name or service not known
smtp.gmail.com: Unknown server error

i have tried it using the application password and removing it and adding a new one that's how it was originally setup i also tried using the email account that my blueiris is sending me updates with and get the same error but if i test from that program it sends me a test email and this one gives me the error above i have also tried hotmail as well with the same result. its allmost as if a firewall was blocking it but as far as i know unraid does not have a built in firewall.

Has anything changed in your network environment or from your ISP?  Can you ping smtp.gmail.com?  This definitely sounds like either a network or service specific issue, as I don't see anything glaring in the logs that points to a misconfiguration in the OS, and clearly other users are still working just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I almost hate to jump in here but here goes.  I am going to give a set of instructions to perform.  The reason for this is that I (and anyone else who is looking at this) are positive about what is being done and what the results are.) 

Open the GUI terminal window (the    >_      icon on the toolbar at the right side of the GUI).    Now type the following command:

ping smtp.gmail.com

You should get something like this:

image.png.c018c7bfccf66809a5eab3c4bdc0273b.png

A <CTRL-C> will stop this process.

If you get an error message, please get a screen shot of it and post that in a new posting.

Second thing to do IF you get a failure.  Type this command into that Terminal:

ping 8.8.8.8

Again capture a screenshot of that if it fails.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 11:20 AM, Frank1940 said:

I almost hate to jump in here but here goes.  I am going to give a set of instructions to perform.  The reason for this is that I (and anyone else who is looking at this) are positive about what is being done and what the results are.) 

Open the GUI terminal window (the    >_      icon on the toolbar at the right side of the GUI).    Now type the following command:

ping smtp.gmail.com

You should get something like this:

image.png.c018c7bfccf66809a5eab3c4bdc0273b.png

A <CTRL-C> will stop this process.

If you get an error message, please get a screen shot of it and post that in a new posting.

Second thing to do IF you get a failure.  Type this command into that Terminal:

ping 8.8.8.8

Again capture a screenshot of that if it fails.

This has been dun in the start but here is the results again.

unraid.PNG