Probleme mit ZFS und Array

EricM
Go to solution Solved by EricM,

18 minutes ago, glennv said:

Think about it, everything in unraid os is already dynamic as build up in memory. During boot zfs is installed every time from scratch . Then (if set as such) it will import all available pools . In the pool parameters the mountpoint is set (altroot) and used/created during import.

so i tried it now and it worked, the zpool is niw importet to my new mountpoint /mnt/disks/zfs. Now i hope i will find an easy way (one that i understand) to show the zpool on my windwos explorer.

And right now i noticed another thing. When i open up my windows explorer and browse to network and then my server, there is a share i made over a year ago but then deleted it. So the share is shown in the windows explorer but not in my unraid gui in the shares tab. But i am not able to delete the share or enter it in the explorer. how do i get rid of it?

check my previous screenshot for the content you can add to smb extra to share your zfs. Maybe the ghost share you see is also in there ;-)

image.png.00093c0cea2e90b2d82c1e0ce8db1467.png

So in your case you could add something like this:

[My-AMAZING-ZFS-SHARE]
      path = /mnt/disks/zfs
      comment =
     browseable = yes
      # Public
      writeable = yes
      read list = 
      write list = yourusername
      valid users = yourusername
      vfs objects =  

12 minutes ago, glennv said:

check my previous screenshot for the content you can add to smb extra to share your zfs. Maybe the ghost share you see is also in there ;-)

image.png.00093c0cea2e90b2d82c1e0ce8db1467.png

So in your case you could add something like this:

[My-AMAZING-ZFS-SHARE]
      path = /mnt/disks/zfs
      comment =
     browseable = yes
      # Public
      writeable = yes
      read list = 
      vfs objects =  

In my case there is this:

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigned devices share includes
   include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf
#unassigned_devices_end
[Backup]
path = /mnt/zfs
public = yes
export = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
vfs objects =

what do i need to write exactly? And the ghost share is called Backup, is this this  [Backup]?

7 minutes ago, EricM said:

In my case there is this:

#unassigned_devices_end
[Backup]
path = /mnt/zfs
public = yes
export = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
vfs objects =

what do i need to write exactly? And the ghost share is called Backup, is this this  [Backup]?

Yes indeed . Your ghost share is [Backup]

Between brackets you define the name you want the share to be visible by in windows.

So you could reuse that and just change the "path" variable underneath to the actual mountpoint of your zfs (eg /mnt/disks/zfs)

The only thing extra i have (which you may or may not need) is 

With yourusername to be replaced with your unraid share user you want it to have access to.

Last thing you need to do is open up the permissions of the zfs mountpoint on unraid.

chmod 777 /mnt/disks/zfs
chown nobody:users /mnt/disks/zfs

Then restart samba (or the whole array )

4 minutes ago, glennv said:

Yes indeed . Your ghost share is [Backup]

Between brackets you define the name you want the share to be visible by in windows.

So you could reuse that and just change the "path" variable underneath to the actual mountpoint of your zfs (eg /mnt/disks/zfs)

The only thing extra i have (which you may or may not need) is 

With yourusername to be replaced with your unraid share user you want it to have access to.

Last thing you need to do is open up the permissions of the zfs mountpoint on unraid.

chmod 777 /mnt/disks/zfs
chown nobody:users /mnt/disks/zfs

Then restart samba (or the whole array )

ok right now i got it like this:

#unassigned_devices_end
[zfs]
path = /mnt/disks/zfs
public = no
export = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
write list = eric
valid users = eric
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
vfs objects =

what do you mean with i need to p´open up the permissions? should i just type the two commands in the terminal?

4 minutes ago, EricM said:

ok right now i got it like this:

#unassigned_devices_end
[zfs]
path = /mnt/disks/zfs
public = no
export = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
write list = eric
valid users = eric
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
vfs objects =

what do you mean with i need to p´open up the permissions? should i just type the two commands in the terminal?

and also my mount point is a little bit weird. i mountet my zpool to /mnt/disks/zfs but now its combined with the old mount point. its /mnt/disks/zfs/mnt/user/zfs/finalfolder. But i want it like /mnt/disks/zfs/finalfolder. But i cant copy or paste or do anything there

17 minutes ago, EricM said:

and also my mount point is a little bit weird. i mountet my zpool to /mnt/disks/zfs but now its combined with the old mount point. its /mnt/disks/zfs/mnt/user/zfs/finalfolder. But i want it like /mnt/disks/zfs/finalfolder. But i cant copy or paste or do anything there

Then there is still something wrong with the mountpoint or you manualy mounted it using mount commands. You can see that if you check :

zpool get altroot zfs

There it should only show the root folder (zo without the name of the zfs) altroot "/mnt/disks"

It will then always use the name of the zpool (in your case "zfs") to create the full mount path as /mnt/disks/zfs

In there you will see the content of the pool. 

If it does not show that, export again and reimport using the commands given before. The import mounts it for you at the right place so no need to manualy mount it.

I must admit i have had it in the past that it remembered the old mountpoint in the altroot value but a few export/imports solved it in the end i think

Its best to already specify the right mountpoint during pool creation to prevent this , but it should be possible to adjust bu using export/import.

If not and it gets messed up at every boot, you can add the 2 export/import commands to your go file (/boot/config/go) so it will do an export and import to the right mountpoint you want  at boot.

If you want you can create a dataset named finalfolder in the zpool, which will then be mounted under /mnt/disks/zfs/finalfolder.

datasets are sub devices in zpools with their own characteristics and they inherit the characteristics of the main pool unless set otherwise.

You can simply create one (after you got the mountpoint sorted out to be /mnt/disks/zfs) by using the command.

zfs create zfs/finalfolder

Edited by glennv

Your welcome. PLay with it and i thing with all the info sofar you will figure it out (and learn more about zfs in the process).

I also started that way, step by step . But zfs and the commands (only 2 commands to do everything . zpool <blabla>  and zfs <blabla>) are super simple and very well documented on the internet. 

Have fun learning. I have to do some other stuff so wont be repying today anymore. Have a great evening.

• Solution
4 minutes ago, glennv said:

Your welcome. PLay with it and i thing with all the info sofar you will figure it out (and learn more about zfs in the process).

I also started that way, step by step . But zfs and the commands (only 2 commands to do everything . zpool <blabla>  and zfs <blabla>) are super simple and very well documented on the internet. 

Have fun learning. I have to do some other stuff so wont be repying today anymore. Have a great evening.

Thanks you too :)