Virtualizing Windows 11 and TPM 2.0 requirement

ashman70

58 minutes ago, RiDDiX said:

If you want you can already install latest Test Version of unraid:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/test/unRAIDServer.plg

OVMF TMP already there without any nasty patches. 🙂

Nasty patches? It's a few prebuilt binaries and prebuilt ovmf file. If someone can't edit their own xml file I wouldn't suggest they use a test verion of unraid.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:08 PM, Skitals said:

Nasty patches? It's a few prebuilt binaries and prebuilt ovmf file. If someone can't edit their own xml file I wouldn't suggest they use a test verion of unraid.

For me it is a lil bit of nastynes cuz Unraid will when upgraded to stable 6.10 maybe remove the patched / updated files.

So why I should do it myself, when already a update will come which add the wanted "features"? I mostly like to use a system like it is (system as is). Just for better error findings and so on. 🙂

I wont say that the "new prebuilt binaries" are bad or something near like this. It is nice that someone found a way to do it for earlier unraid builds but as I said, if some new errors or problems can come through such doings no one can really help if they happen or I will say it will just be harder to find solutions then.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:28 AM, okkies said:

I got TPM and secure boot working trough this guide

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/swtpm-unraid-zoltan-repasi/msinfo32_INzmdSm6Ja.thumb.png.2e44516fa9731369eff9a8e3c9ae25a9.png

Could you please help me with this? I can't find the boot/extra folder on the Unraid USB drive. Where is that folder located? Found another post from you where you showed that you have to create the folder. 

Anyway, I am now at this part: 

If you don't have the "User scripts" plugin install, you need to install it at this stage and create a script which runs at the startup of the array. You should add the following content to the script (startup_script). Im not going into too much details of the script, the key thing is the last line. When you first startup the virtual machine during the runtime it will create a folder under /var/lib/libvirt/swtpm/ something like this /var/lib/libvirt/swtpm/141d5517-bb66-23b3-6373-c4288xxxxxx, you need to make sure that you copy this whole folder into the VM storage area and symlink it back on the next boot as /var/lib/libvirt/swtpm/ is not persistent.

I am stuck there. I created the script and ran it manually. I thought that if I started a VM then it would create a folder somewhere. It should create a folder under the path given in the manual but where can I find the /var/lib folder? And how do I create a symlink? 

Any help with pictures would be greatly appreciated as this is not easy for me. 

Edited by workermaster
47 minutes ago, workermaster said:

Could you please help me with this? I can't find the boot/extra folder on the Unraid USB drive. Where is that folder located? Found another post from you where you showed that you have to create the folder. 

Anyway, I am now at this part: 

If you don't have the "User scripts" plugin install, you need to install it at this stage and create a script which runs at the startup of the array. You should add the following content to the script (startup_script). Im not going into too much details of the script, the key thing is the last line. When you first startup the virtual machine during the runtime it will create a folder under /var/lib/libvirt/swtpm/ something like this /var/lib/libvirt/swtpm/141d5517-bb66-23b3-6373-c4288xxxxxx, you need to make sure that you copy this whole folder into the VM storage area and symlink it back on the next boot as /var/lib/libvirt/swtpm/ is not persistent.

I am stuck there. I created the script and ran it manually. I thought that if I started a VM then it would create a folder somewhere. It should create a folder under the path given in the manual but where can I find the /var/lib folder? And how do I create a symlink? 

Any help with pictures would be greatly appreciated as this is not easy for me. 

Dont use this anymore. just update to RC2. it works much better. 

39 minutes ago, okkies said:

@workermaster

its litterly 3 posts above this: 

Revert all the steps you done, so delete boot/extra stop the userscript

then go to plugins 
install plugin and use this URL

I saw that post but that isn't the official release right? That is a test build. I can't find it through the update tab in Unraid. 

I have now just installed W10 and will wait until I can find the RC2 through the update tab. 

3 minutes ago, workermaster said:

I saw that post but that isn't the official release right? That is a test build. I can't find it through the update tab in Unraid. 

I have now just installed W10 and will wait until I can find the RC2 through the update tab. 

no disrespect, but you seem like a novice, are you sure you want to use beta software in order to get TPM working? 

read the URL, its hosted on the amazon servers of Limetech, aka unraid. 

again: 

then go to plugins tab in unraid

K2eYMcC.png

18 minutes ago, okkies said:

no disrespect, but you seem like a novice, are you sure you want to use beta software in order to get TPM working? 

read the URL, its hosted on the amazon servers of Limetech, aka unraid. 

again: 

then go to plugins tab in unraid

K2eYMcC.png

I am indeed a novice. When it comes to anything Linux, pretty much the biggest novice in the universe. So thanks for trying to help me. 

All steps have already been reverted. 

I am confident that I can get the plugin way to work but am wondering what the difference is between the plugin version that I can install, or the update tab. Am I correct in thinking that the update I can install with the plugin way, is a nightly type of build and the one that will be rolled out on the update tab will be a more stable version of the RC2 build?

Edited by workermaster
22 minutes ago, workermaster said:

I am indeed a novice. When it comes to anything Linux, pretty much the biggest novice in the universe. So thanks for trying to help me. 

All steps have already been reverted. 

I am confident that I can get the plugin way to work but am wondering what the difference is between the plugin version that I can install, or the update tab. Am I correct in thinking that the update I can install with the plugin way, is a nightly type of build and the one that will be rolled out on the update tab will be a more stable version of the RC2 build?

dont know why an RC2 isnt public.
the nighly type also came to mind to me aswell. but as you can see by the steps to install the update, its a manual job. unraid doesnst have automatic updates for its OS. its a manual Handle. 

anyways, i got curios, seems were all fine. u can roll back to any version.
klvgZRC.png
now stop being a pussy and update 

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, okkies said:

dont know why an RC2 isnt public.
the nighly type also came to mind to me aswell. but as you can see by the steps to install the update, its a manual job. unraid doesnst have automatic updates for its OS. its a manual Handle. 

anyways, i got curios, seems were all fine. u can roll back to any version.
klvgZRC.png
now stop being a pussy and update 

Took your advice, stopped being a pussy and updated. My virtual machines are still saying that they do not have TPM. Do I still need to follow the steps on the LinkedIn tutorial, except for the first few? Or are there any other handy fixes that I should know of?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Did you choose ovmf tpm bios?And did you add the tpm to your vm?

I have now switched the BIOS to the TPM one. Will read through the manual on LinkedIn again to figure out how I have to add the TPM to the VM.

EDIT: I only had to switch the BIOS  to the TPM one. I did not have to add anything to the XML file to get it to work. The Windows 11 tool now says that I can run Windows 11. I have been running W11 for a few months now but wanted to be able to update it. 

Edited by workermaster
18 hours ago, workermaster said:

I have now switched the BIOS to the TPM one. Will read through the manual on LinkedIn again to figure out how I have to add the TPM to the VM.

EDIT: I only had to switch the BIOS  to the TPM one. I did not have to add anything to the XML file to get it to work. The Windows 11 tool now says that I can run Windows 11. I have been running W11 for a few months now but wanted to be able to update it. 

the linkdin manual isnt required anymore. everything is baked in. 
i was lazy, i just made a new windows 11 VM within unraid. assigned the new bios and chipset(machine is chipset, right?)  and used the same drives and components. 
ofc i had to update all the drivers on first boot. but its working like a charm. 

Have fun with Windows 11!

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday I made a snapshot of one of my unactivated Win 10 VMs, updated to the latest

Then I used this tool to upgrade to Win 11

https://github.com/coofcookie/Windows11Upgrade

No errors, went smoothly. Now playing around with it a bit and have not yet found any bugs

I dont have any TPM, nor an emulated one, nor a supported Win 11 CPU

Edited by unrateable
  • 4 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, unrateable said:

I dont have any TPM, nor an emulated one, nor a supported Win 11 CPU

You know that since Unraid 6.10.0-rc2 TPM is now available in Unraid and you can Windows 11 as usual.

You even can change your VM to use the emulated TPM as long as you are using OVMF as BIOS type without any scripts,...: Click

• Like 2