Best way to move Appdata, domains, isos & system shares from original cache to new cache pool

Hi there,

For too long I have had both my downloads folder and appdata etc all on the same single cache drive. I have now setup a second cache pool/drive and feel like I am stuck in a circular reference trying to work out how best to move the files from one drive to the other.

- All relevant shares have been adjusted to Cache:Prefer with the new cache drive also selected. Mover did not move any of the data when invoked (something that seems to be a constant problem with Mover in many situations)

- In order to use Krusader I would need to turn on Dockers which then creates new Appdata in the new cache drive while all the old data also remains where it was. This feels like bad practice destined to end in disaster.

- Using CA backup restore requires me to change the Appdata Share path on the backup tab in order for the Restore tab to deposit the files on the new cache drive. But the new path won't save unless I click 'apply' on the backup tab - which will then initiate another backup of the new empty share on the new cache drive and overwrite the original share I want to restore.

Please help me with this madness! I assume as a relative noob I a missing something obvious here, but I have been unable to find instructions either in the forum, via SpaceInvader, or elsewhere. Thanks!

1 hour ago, nametaken_thisonetoo said:

All relevant shares have been adjusted to Cache:Prefer with the new cache drive also selected. Mover did not move any of the data when invoked (something that seems to be a constant problem with Mover in many situations

Mover only moves from pool to array and from array to pool. Never from pool to pool. Might change one day ?

There are two solutions :

1. use the mover twice the shares to cache YES, run the mover, then set them to the proper pool and run the mover again.
  2. use the built-in Midnight Commander (mc in the console) to move file directly from pool to pool.

The first option is longer (twice the work and go through the slower HDDs), but safer if you don't know MC.

The second has the opposite advantages. :)   Should be faster but requires to take the time to understand MC. Be sure to move files POOL to POOL and NOT to involve SHARES, or there could be data loss.

MC is not so hard when you understand :

• TAB to go from one tree to the other
  • arrows to select
  • Enter to go in a directory
  • Enter on /.. to go back
  • and ALT+number from the top row of the keyboard to launch a command
  • the command is done from the active tree to the inactive one

You could also use the second method from your main computer if you enable disk shares ? If your OS is recent enough, the copy should happen within the server and not go through your computer. Still need to be careful not to mix disks and pools. Hopefully you don't have shares named like one of the pool. :)

• Thanks 1

@ChatNoir you are a lifesaver thanks so much. I think I'll go with your option 1 and learn more about MC another day. I assume the two step mover will work for all of the system based shares - Appdata, System, Domains, isos?

I'm a bit surprised that there are no instructions in the creating additional cache pools documentation on moving these critical shares safely. I guess they assume most folks have broad knowledge which is a shame if correct.

15 minutes ago, nametaken_thisonetoo said:

I assume the two step mover will work for all of the system based shares - Appdata, System, Domains, isos?

It would work for any share that you need to move really.

For the shares you mention, you will have to disable the VM and Docker services from Settings before moving files. You can enabled them once the files are where you want them to be.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, nametaken_thisonetoo said:

I'm a bit surprised that there are no instructions in the creating additional cache pools documentation on moving these critical shares safely. I guess they assume most folks have broad knowledge which is a shame if correct.

The steps are documented here, but maybe a link from the bit about adding pools is worth adding.