TPM for KVM please?

NLS

11 hours ago, alturismo said:

yes i did, sorry, but i meant RC2 and not a final release, im pretty sure you wont regret using it as its a RC and not a Test branch which where the steps before ;)

Thanks, got RC2 & Win 11 installed. However, I'm unable to update to the latest ver (3.10.08.506) of AMD chipset drivers which is required to resolve the Win 11 performance issues. The installer does not recognize my system as AMD and exits.

Running the new OVMF TPM, Q35-6.1, and virtio-win-0.1.208-1 and still no luck. Have also tried the chipset version directly from mb website 3.09.01.140 and still no luck.

Device manager lists Computer as 'ACPI x64-based PC' and Processors 'AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-core Processor'

Anyone have a suggestion?

45 minutes ago, Skrumpy said:

The installer does not recognize my system as AMD and exits.

I think you can't install a AMD Chipset driver because the Chipset is recognized as OVMF because it's actually emulated (you can't use the hosts chipset anyways) and not as AMD, I don't think you can change that.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think you can't install a AMD Chipset driver because the Chipset is recognized as Q35-6.1 because it's actually emulated (you can't use the hosts chipset anyways) and not as AMD, I don't think you can change that.

There's an unraid thread here where someone was wondering about the same and someone had mentioned using SEABIOS.

"Right now i have 2 vms running SEABIOS with Q35-4.2 and AMD drivers are installing like a charm and not causing me any headaches."

Do you think the emulation will avoid the performance degradation with AMD processors and Win 11? Otherwise, this may be something to bring to the attention of AMD users prior to upgrading via VM.

17 minutes ago, Skrumpy said:

Do you think the emulation will avoid the performance degradation with AMD processors and Win 11?

Simply try it with various games and you will have the answer, maybe someone else has test this.

18 minutes ago, Skrumpy said:

SEABIOS

As @ghost82 said, SeaBIOS is not an option because this is basically Legacy (CSM) boot and Windows 11 needs UEFI that is basically OVMF.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, jaybee said:

So are we saying that the AMD performance hit in games is here forever, if you run a Windows 11 VM with AMD processor? It is not solvable?

I did have a measurable performance (FPS) hit in 2 games that I play (Hunt Showdown & League of Legends), but more in Hunt (consistently ~20ish FPS less) due to how processor heavy of a game it is.

These weren't "scientific" tests, just anecdotal pre-upgrade (Win 10) and post-upgrade (Win 11 full update) game launching and playing for several hours each (no other changes done).

I was able to mitigate most of the performance drop in Hunt by doing some other tweaks in/out of game. It is still not in a pre-upgrade state and I occasionally experience random, quick, infrequent, and severe slowdowns/lag when experiencing visually demanding areas. These did not occur pre-upgrade.

I do slightly regret updating my VM to Win 11 as I have not noticed any significant benefits to updating that make it worth the hassle of trying to mitigate the performance drops and of dealing with it in game.

I do not know how other systems and/or other games may be impacted and can only speak to my own experiences and the 2 games I have tested. I would suggest other people give it a go and see if we can have QEMU take a look at virtualization changes.

Q35-6.1 (latest ver in RC2) already had some AMD "fixes" and perhaps they'll be able to tweak things specifically for Win 11 at some point.

Many fixes for the emulation of AMD virtualization extensions.

https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/6.1#KVM