Identical HDD Make Model and Serial

I am building my first Unraid server. When I was completing my Preclear it showed my three drives Model Number: OOS12000G, however, two of them have same serial number. Serial Number: 00000000.  This prevents preclear from running on both drives, even though they have different device Ids (sde and sdf) . Additionally in Unassigned devices only one shows up. Unraid will also only allow me to mount one drive (it only sees one).  Any advice?

Unraid identifies exclusively by the serial number.  

It appears based upon the Model number you listed that they are "Water Panther Drives".  These are refurbished white-label drives sold by a 3rd party manufactured by either Seagate, Western Digital, etc based upon how many they can purchase at the price point they are after.  I'd complain to White Panther.

You might however have success by enabling "Display World Wide Name" in Settings - Display Settings

16 hours ago, Squid said:

Unraid identifies exclusively by the serial number.  

It appears based upon the Model number you listed that they are "Water Panther Drives".  These are refurbished white-label drives sold by a 3rd party manufactured by either Seagate, Western Digital, etc based upon how many they can purchase at the price point they are after.  I'd complain to White Panther.

You might however have success by enabling "Display World Wide Name" in Settings - Display Settings

You are correct. I am using the "Water Panther Drives". I have emailed them and engaged in RMA process for one of the drives. I will try "Display World Wide Name" today and see what it does. I was hoping that I could change the serial (but it does not look like that will happen). Took me a few to realize that Unraid identifies exclusively by the serial number... But now I know.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

It's really the only way. Uraid needs to reliably identify assigned disks when the user makes hardware changes.

Yeah, I wish you could configure it based on the drives Unique identifier as that is different between drives. Well lesson learned RMA Process started. Thanks all for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

if you run "hdparm  -I  /dev/sda" the last line is "Unique ID : 0b328f303"  which is not the same as the serial "Serial Number: WCJ11G68" . I included one of my drives as an example. I don't have the two drives in my system any more but on the two that had identical serials they had different unique identifies. I don't know how that is created or assigned yet so more research to do. But I was hoping to use it so I could use both drives. I have started the RMA process, so my problem is basically resolved through replacement. Hoping in the future, maybe the unique identifier can be used when there is a serial conflict. The vendor did know this is a known issue (identical serials) with linux systems. This is my first bare metal linux build so I am learning. Thanks all for the feedback.