Adding same GPU device to multiple running containers

Econaut

I have an AMD APU that I can pass through to Jellyfin or Emby docker containers but it seems like I cannot pass it through to both at once. Can anyone else confirm if this is supposed to work or if it's possible to share the same GPU with multiple docker containers for hardware acceleration?

Edited by Econaut

I don't think that's possible. Only one of them can use it at any given time. That said, I too have an AMD APU (Ryzen 5 5600G). I've given up getting hardware transcoding in Plex, but Jellyfin should work, right? Problem is that all I get is errors if I try to use hardware transcoding. I'm running Unraid 6.10.0-rc1 with the AMDGPU drivers installed. I tried with the "Jellyfin AMD Intel Nvidia" docker image. What are you doing? 

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, Econaut said:

Yup that one worked for me. Also used the Emby docker (official) and used the same Device passthrough /dev/dri - select VAAPI in server config. Both worked great for me. Using a 5700G. Tried with official Plex docker and that was a failure.

@econaut could you share in full the steps required to get this working in emby for HW transcoding on a 5700?

21 hours ago, TheGrownUpGeek said:

@econaut could you share in full the steps required to get this working in emby for HW transcoding on a 5700?

I can share what I remember:

Use official Emby docker. Put this in the config:

I recall it just working essentially. If it's not for you, share some of your details and I can compare.

image.png

56 minutes ago, Econaut said:

I can share what I remember:

Use official Emby docker. Put this in the config:

I recall it just working essentially. If it's not for you, share some of your details and I can compare.

image.png

I get the following error when starting the container. Did you need to do anything in advance to isolate the APU or add drivers or did it just work?

docker: Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dri": no such file or directory.

Edited by TheGrownUpGeek
5 hours ago, TheGrownUpGeek said:

docker: Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dri": no such file or directory.

Your iGPU isn't enabled.

Install the Radeon TOP plugin from the CA App and it should work after you've installed the plugin.

• 10 months later...