Password Protected Share?

• UnBeastRaid changed the title to Password Protected Share?

The way I have my server setup is with only a root user (me). My unraid server is visible on the home network and can be accessed by the family. Their PC's don't require a login to access the server. 

I just tried creating a user with credentials and access to the share, however, when accessed Windows and it's credential manager always seems to ruin things. There is only one username and password for the new user I just created on Unraid, but windows wont accept the credentials and denies me access.

Not sure what's going on.

25 minutes ago, UnBeastRaid said:

The way I have my server setup is with only a root user (me). My unraid server is visible on the home network and can be accessed by the family. Their PC's don't require a login to access the server. 

I just tried creating a user with credentials and access to the share, however, when accessed Windows and it's credential manager always seems to ruin things. There is only one username and password for the new user I just created on Unraid, but windows wont accept the credentials and denies me access.

Not sure what's going on.

The ‘root’ user is purely for admin purposes and cannot be used as the username for accessing shares.

if you want a private share then you are going to need to sort out the Windows side.    It is critical that the first access to a share on the server after booting Windows is done using the username/password you set up for private access as a quirk of Windows is that it will not allow two sets of credentials (e.g. guest plus private user) to be used to the same server - and it gives misleading error messages about the username/password being invalid if you try.

• Like 1