[SUPPORT] - PlexRipper - The best cross-platform Plex media downloader there is!

Unmax

@milfer322, @thebaconboss, @dest0, @pieman16

I'm investigating the 2FA issue now and in order for PlexRipper to support that I am following this guide: Authenticating with Plex

I think I have also found a fix for the "New Device" spam, PlexRipper is not sending any extra data with its server requests which makes it seem its a new device with every request. I have copied over the data as if I am a Plex Web browser client:

image.png.437b262f03632e0b421f014970a23911.png

Also a question, how do I enable getting those spam notifications? Does it only happen if I'm logged in on the Plex mobile app with the server account?

Edit: It seems the spam was due to not having a consistent Client Identifier for PlexRipper, this will be fixed in the next release!

Edited by Unmax
  • Like 1

Bit of an update! I'm still working hard on PlexRipper, "unfortunately" I have a job as well which means I can't work on this 24/7. However, this weekend I'm going to spend it all on fixing as much things as possible. I'm currently working on 2FA authentication which should be 80% done, its quite a bit more work than I expected but after this is finished I will release the update on the development branch. 

The next update [0.8.7] will include the following:

- French translation with 95% translated, this is a first draft 

- The "new device" spam should be fixed

- 2FA authentication working

- Behind the scenes code improvements

After that I will work on the following things in order:

- Download media files are being wrongly named due to a parsing error and given the incorrect file permissions. 

- Download speed limit configurable per server as not to fully take up all available bandwidth

- Slow download speeds with certain servers

- Disabling the Download page commands for TvShow and Seasons download tasks, these are currently not working and might confuse users

- Certain libraries are stuck on loading when viewing those in PlexRipper

Unless they are quality of life, I am focused now on fixing bugs and other issues. 

Keep the feedback coming, I am keeping an eye on everything and am dedicated in fixing all the issues.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

On 9/30/2021 at 7:11 AM, pieman16 said:

Okay so I updated to 0.8.6. Looks like you fixed the file name but now the folder says 3WHVWY~G for the movie name. 

Might be a misunderstanding, but this isn't fixed yet. It works most of the time but in certain instances it doesn't work, this is a high priority to be fixed

• Like 1
On 9/28/2021 at 3:08 PM, pieman16 said:

Looking at the downloaded file. I noticed once the file is downloaded it gives the file a weird name. Not the name of the file that was downloaded. I asked my friend why this file is named weird. He told me it’s not. I showed him he told me that’s not the filename on his side. Is that normal?

Please follow this Github issue for updates: https://github.com/PlexRipper/PlexRipper/issues/86

I hope to have this fixed in the next release

@milfer322 @thebaconboss @pieman16 @dest0

I have created a new release on the development branch!

Most important fixes are, added 2FA support and fixed the "new device spam"

https://github.com/PlexRipper/PlexRipper/releases/tag/v0.8.7

Next high priority fixes are these:

- Download media files are being wrongly named due to a parsing error and given the incorrect file permissions. 

- Download speed limit configurable per server as not to fully take up all available bandwidth

- Slow download speeds with certain servers

- Disabling the Download page commands for TvShow and Seasons download tasks, these are currently not working and might confuse users

I've also added the feedback I received here to the Github issues, please subscribe to those for updates!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay 2 issues. I use unraid and I just looked no update. But I have the bug fixes from the newest update. Weird. 

second. I tried to add another library from a different Plex account and I get Retrieving library from PlexRipper database!  For tv shows. But the movies work just fine. The link just hangs there. 

Edited by pieman16
5 hours ago, pieman16 said:

Okay 2 issues. I use unraid and I just looked no update. But I have the bug fixes from the newest update. Weird. 

second. I tried to add another library from a different Plex account and I get Retrieving library from PlexRipper database!  For tv shows. But the movies work just fine. The link just hangs there. 

The update is only on PlexRipper development for now and someone else confirmed the tvShows now working again, check and make sure PlexRipper Development has version v0.8.7 

45 minutes ago, Ockingshay said:

is there a way to safeguard against this? i'm sure it's fun for the person downloading the stuff but what about the server owner who's upload/hardware resources are being used?

It is the same as if the user views the video, it may even consume less hardware.

6 hours ago, Unmax said:

The update is only on PlexRipper development for now and someone else confirmed the tvShows now working again, check and make sure PlexRipper Development has version v0.8.7 

Only way I know how to update containers is through unraid. And plexripper still says 0.8.6. 
Tv shows works if your on your friends friend list. But not if you have a separate account you sign in to plexripper gets stuck. Plexripper has been stuck trying to get tv shows on this second account since yesterday. 

2 hours ago, milfer322 said:

It is the same as if the user views the video, it may even consume less hardware.

So this is rate limited to real time? As in, the download of a 45 minute TV show takes 45 minutes? Otherwise the viewing and downloading take significantly different amounts of bandwidth.

3 hours ago, Ockingshay said:

is there a way to safeguard against this? i'm sure it's fun for the person downloading the stuff but what about the server owner who's upload/hardware resources are being used?

Someone e-mailed me about preventing abuse and I decided to create a pinned Github issue about this topic with my initial answer.

Which you can find here: For PlexServer owners - Preventing PlexRipper abuse discussion

Lets move this discussion there otherwise it's all over the place. 

2 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

So this is rate limited to real time? As in, the download of a 45 minute TV show takes 45 minutes? Otherwise the viewing and downloading take significantly different amounts of bandwidth.

You're right, this is however 1 of my ideas to by default not exceed the bandwidth it would require to stream media. 

24 minutes ago, pieman16 said:

Only way I know how to update containers is through unraid. And plexripper still says 0.8.6. 
Tv shows works if your on your friends friend list. But not if you have a separate account you sign in to plexripper gets stuck. Plexripper has been stuck trying to get tv shows on this second account since yesterday. 

Yeah I think you're on the "stable" PlexRipper branch. I have released the new 0.8.7 update on the stable branch as it fixes more things than it hopefully breaks. Just wait like 15-30 minutes and then update your docker container. It should show you have an update after this time. 

May of found the issue. It updated and here is the error in the log for that second account.

13:08:26 [Warning] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Waiting 2 seconds before retrying again.

13:08:26 [Error] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Error Response URI: - (0)

13:08:26 [Error] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Error Message: The request timed-out.

13:08:29 [Warning] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Waiting 1 seconds before retrying again.

13:08:29 [Error] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Error Response URI: - (0)

13:08:29 [Error] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Error Message: The request timed-out.

13:08:38 [Error] [PlexApiClient.GenerateResult] => PlexApi Error: Error on request to (0) - :

13:08:38 [Error] [PlexApiClient.GenerateResult] => :

13:08:38 [Error] [PlexApiClient.GenerateResult] => StatusCode - 0:

13:08:40 [Warning] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Waiting 2 seconds before retrying again.

13:08:40 [Error] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Error Response URI: - (0)

13:08:40 [Error] [PlexApiClient.SendRequestAsync] => Error Message: The request timed-out.

13:08:52 [Error] [PlexApiClient.GenerateResult] => PlexApi Error: Error on request to (0) - :

13:08:52 [Error] [PlexApiClient.GenerateResult] => :

13:08:52 [Error] [PlexApiClient.GenerateResult] => StatusCode - 0:

I'm having trouble with the downloader "detaching" from the UI. I can see in the log that it's still downloading but doesn't show in the UI. If anything happens like the container getting restarted the download stops but can't start another download because it says there's still a download queued from that server but nothing is actually being downloaded. It seems to very easily get in this locked state.

And of course I'm having extremely slow download speeds. I'm on what I think is the latest "dev" version.

1 hour ago, Taddeusz said:

I'm having trouble with the downloader "detaching" from the UI. I can see in the log that it's still downloading but doesn't show in the UI. If anything happens like the container getting restarted the download stops but can't start another download because it says there's still a download queued from that server but nothing is actually being downloaded. It seems to very easily get in this locked state.

And of course I'm having extremely slow download speeds. I'm on what I think is the latest "dev" version.

I see what you mean, the quick fix is to select all downloads and either delete or restart them. Alternatively, you could edit the SQLite database and empty the DownloadTasks table. I am currently working on rewriting the download process and hope to prevent locking/detaching as you mentioned. I also hope to resolve the slow download speeds as others have mentioned. 

You can follow any updates on this here: https://github.com/PlexRipper/PlexRipper/issues/85

@Unmax Thank you. I would recommend setting PUID and PGID for your container and have all your processes run with that user and group. On many platforms containers don't run well or at all unless these are set to match the local system. You can default them to 99 and 100 so that they match nobody:users in Unraid. Plus it's not really great to be running as root:root.

• Thanks 1