How Many Servers Are You Running?

SpencerJ

How Many Servers Are You Running?  

815 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SpencerJ said:

Winner!

Yes! I await my prize, hint, I don't need another license :)

For many years I've been reusing the smaller disks leftover from upgrades, I still have servers with 2 and 3TB disks, even one with some 1TB disks, part of why I have so many, all those small disks together are still a lot of storage space I can use, but now I'm am at the limit, no space for any more servers.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have two.  

One Unraid, One older 4 bay QNAP.  

I originally built the Unraid when my QNAP went down and I had to wait 6 weeks for the company to repair it with proprietary parts.  Now the QNAP is a lite-backup server, but it does have some great internet facing tools.  As such, I mapped some shares from the QNAP over to my Unraid box and I use the QNAP as a "gateway" to get to my Unraid files remotely.  

11 hours ago, Ellis34771 said:

What do you use 16 servers for?

There are various reasons, one of them is like mentioned above that I like to re-utilize old disks after upgrading them, I find this more cost effective than just upgrading the existing server to even larger disks, also and although I work in IT it's kind of a hobby for me, and finally my small way of supporting LT.

As for what they are used, there are two main servers that are always on, with VMs and the data I need day to day, they also serve as partial backups of each other, then I have mostly cold archive servers, 5 in total and for each of those there's also another one that acts as a full backup, another server for backup of the array for one the the main servers, which doesn't need daily backups, currently also a couple of Chia farms and a couple of test servers which for now share the same key since only use one at a time.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2)

1. Primary Server with Plex and various other dockers. Runs 24/7

2. Backup which is a Data mirror of Primary. Runs 2x a month for a quick Rsync backup then back off. 

I might eventually install other hardware into Backup so its a quick swap if Primary is down, but I've never honestly had a need for it yet. At least my content is backed up with two parity protected arrays. 

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have one. I use one as a NAS at work, and plan to use it for virtualization as well. I would like to build another for home eventually, though I don't really need it right now. I have 5tb of storage in my PC at home, so my family sort of just uses my pc as a vault anyways. We have multiple backups of our data, so I'm not too concerned of my pc crashing and losing it either, so I haven't been able to justify building an Unraid box for home.