Offsite Backup Solution for Terabytes of Data?

UnBeastRaid

Hello,

Thanks for reading into my post.

Lately (idk why) I have been thinking about all the TBs of important documents/videos/pictures & critical backup information that is stored on my Unraid server, and how I would feel if all my data went up in smoke in some sort of freak accident like a fire or something (heaven forbid!). 

I started looking around for offsite (cloud) services that I can basically copy my Unraid server to. However, they are all VERY expensive and more than often marketed as business solutions, and, a lot of the time there is a minimum user sign up of something like three users. I don't have deep enough pockets for any of that stuff.

If you know of a service or solution for safe offsite backups that are reasonably priced, please let me know. I am curious as to what the community does to offload TBs of data offsite.

Cheers!

Edited by UnBeastRaid
  • UnBeastRaid changed the title to Offsite Backup Solution for Terabytes of Data?

Backblaze b2 using a duplicati docker is the cheapest of all. Or a mirror backup to a windows desktop os using storage spaces or drivepool + snapraid for backblaze unlimited $7 a month. Those are the cheapest options. Someone made a backblaze unlimited docker, but it's really hinky and I wouldn't trust it after I tried it for five minutes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wildfire305 said:

Oh wow glacier is a tiny bit cheaper. I didn't know about that one. How does it compare to using backblaze?

I have no idea.

I use glacier at work.  Don't use anything like it at home. 

My critical data fits on a single 10TB drive. 
My family photos are synced between iCloud and my unraid server (so 2 copies of everything).  I'll probably add a dedicated back for it as well, but I've been able to recover from our mistakes so far.

The remaining 70TB of data on my server is replaceable.  it would be a pain in the ass, but it is replaceable.

12 minutes ago, wildfire305 said:

Backblaze b2 using a duplicati docker is the cheapest of all. Or a mirror backup to a windows desktop os using storage spaces or drivepool + snapraid for backblaze unlimited $7 a month. Those are the cheapest options. Someone made a backblaze unlimited docker, but it's really hinky and I wouldn't trust it after I tried it for five minutes.

I use Backblaze for my PC backup. I have looked into their B2 service and it would be around $10 a month. So far AWS Glacier is the best bang for the buck.

I'm using 2 parity for three data disks. A full set of offline backups updated weekly-ish manually using a windows box (for a different storage media/file system), a second offline backup as ZFS. The personal data is in encrypted veracrypt containers in case of cyber theft or actual theft. And B2 for the irreplaceable stuff. If you have a friend willing to host an offsite backup in exchange for an offsite backup for their stuff, that can be free. But if you both live in the same geographic area, you're not protected from a massive natural disaster. I tried that, but my parents' internet bandwidth was unable to support timely backups.