Big Sur 11.6 VM+NVME boot when GPU Passthrough -> PXE Boot

zanzu

Hi,

I have completed the build of the Unraid server and have a few VMs, Dockers and Shared folders. The server is quite stable.  I have two VMs (Windows 10 and BigSur 11.6) booting off NVMe drives.  The Win10 VM ( a gaming setup) successfully passthrough a GTX960 GPU and a USB 3.0 controller.  My son has been playing ForthNite on this and it's quite stable.

The Big Sur 11.6 VM with USB 3.0 passthrough and a 10GB Asus Aquantia card has been stable for a month or so. Recently I tried to passthrough a Sapphire Nitro AMD Radeon 5500XT 8GB.  The VM started but for some strange reason it's not booting off the NVMe drive;  it's trying to do a PXE boot (Start PEX over IPv4). Eventually it timed out and drops me into the UEFI shell.  After checking the boot order, I notice the NVMe drive is not listed, only, what seems to be, the internal NICs.

Anyone faced a similar issue and how did you resolve it?   The only change to the VM was passing through the Nitro card.

The Win10 VM with the GTX960 stable and no issue..

Best Regards

Quick update:  I removed the 5500XT due to instability with the server;  The system would reboot whenever I try to shutdown the VM.  After some research, it seems the AMD reset bug is fixed in the 6000 series cards and the patch/module approach for the 5000 series card is not working for me.

Best solution is to remove the card from the system and purchase a 6800 GPU.

https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html

https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/nvidia-gpu.html#native-nvidia-gpus

The lists may be a little outdate lacking or giving partially wrong info on newer gpus, like the 6000 amd series.

Notes:

1. consider the amd reset bug, since we are running mac os in a vm

2. if I were you I would wait for the official release of monterey: some gpu families are being dropped (ex nvidia kepler). It would be a shame to buy an "old" gpu and not being able to run it on monterey too

Edited by ghost82