replacement of disappeared disk

caplam

Last week i started to have read and write errors on an array disk. I did not have time to deal with this as i had to move to a new house.

Yesterday i started my server and now the disk is not seen anymore (even by the controller ).

The problem is i only have smaller replacement drives.

How can i deal with this ?

Is it possible to add 2 drives to the array and transfer from the emulated disk to the 2 new ones? i guess not as parity will logically be rebuilt when adding drives.

no i have not enough space on other disks.

Right now my server is down i can't post diags.

i have 2 parity disks (6Tb)

I have 4 array disks (4,4,4,6 Tb). I have shares on disk 1&2 and others shares in disks 3&4. Disappeared disk is number 4.

I really think disk 4 is dead as lsi controller doesn't detect it and it made some "click" noises on starting.

If i can't move data from emulated disk 4 to new disks 5&6 (4Tb) i think i have 2 choices:

- transfer data out of the array, add 2 disks, make a new config and transfer back data to the new disks. The downside is it will make a strong activity on parity drives.

- buy a 6Tb disk to replace disk 4. but i prefer the other solution as i have 7 empty slots and 4 or 5 4Tb disks. Moreover there are no interessant deals on hdd right now.

57 minutes ago, caplam said:

If i can't move data from emulated disk 4 to new disks 5&6 (4Tb) i think i have 2 choices:

- transfer data out of the array, add 2 disks, make a new config and transfer back data to the new disks. The downside is it will make a strong activity on parity drives.

- buy a 6Tb disk to replace disk 4. but i prefer the other solution as i have 7 empty slots and 4 or 5 4Tb disks. Moreover there are no interessant deals on hdd right now.

I agree, those are also the two choices you have.

i guess moving data out of the array was not the right choice.

I have to find a way.

I want to drop unraid. In 2,5 years this is not the first time i'm in such trouble and it takes ages to recover. I never had such problems with my syno or my proxmox server.

Edited by caplam