[SOLVED] bxterra UPS not identified

greyday

I just switched over from an APC to a much larger battery backup and Unraid doesn't seem to detect it. I can't seem to find really any info online at all about bxtera software/hardware and unraid. Has anyone gotten their servers to identify a bxterra or similar rack battery? It's not the end of the world if not, but the auto-shutdown in case of a prolonged power out would definitely be great to have...

Edited by greyday
5 hours ago, greyday said:

Doesn't seem to pick it up, but there's also a NUT docker image now.

....that shouldn't make difference, rather complicates things as you'll have to passthrough the USB device to the Docker (I gather, you have bxterra model with USB interface) and in the event of power failure, integrate back into unraid host to perform shutdown.

Did you see the hint in this: link ?

the driver for NUT monitoring is Voltronic

...check your syslog for the USB device, that gets created and then what driver NUT trie to use.

Edit: just noticed, that Voltronic is not listed directly in the compatibiliuty list from NUT, so this can be found from NUT github

The *nutdrv_qx* driver is known to work with various UPSes from 'Blazer', [...],
'Voltronic Power' (rebranded by many, many - have I said many? - others..
Long story short: if your UPS came with a software called 'Viewpower', chances are high
that it works with this driver with one of the <<_extra_arguments,'voltronic*' protocols or with the 'mecer' one>>) and many others.

Otherwise: https://www.bxterra.com/resources/faqs/ 

Are your UPS systems compatible with other manufacturer's software?
Our UPS systems will not work with another manufacturer’s software. They will, however, work with OS-supplied management tools (e.g. Windows 7, 8, 10, OS X).

...you may probably be goofed.

Edited by Ford Prefect
  • Like 1
On 9/29/2021 at 12:15 AM, Ford Prefect said:

Edit: just noticed, that Voltronic is not listed directly in the compatibiliuty list from NUT, so this can be found from NUT github

The *nutdrv_qx* driver is known to work with various UPSes from 'Blazer', [...],
'Voltronic Power' (rebranded by many, many - have I said many? - others..
Long story short: if your UPS came with a software called 'Viewpower', chances are high
that it works with this driver with one of the <<_extra_arguments,'voltronic*' protocols or with the 'mecer' one>>) and many others.

This worked like a charm. Well, like a slightly tarnished charm, half the readings aren't there and it says the runtime is at 0 (it isn't), but it's a start at least. Thanks!

Edited by greyday
  • greyday changed the title to [SOLVED] bxterra UPS not identified
26 minutes ago, greyday said:

This worked like a charm. Well, like a slightly tarnished charm, half the readings aren't there and it says the runtime is at 0 (it isn't), but it's a start at least. Thanks!

...well, at least that is something.

The next best two options for further improvement of the situation are to go through the list of available drivers manually and see what fits best or ask in the NUT forum/community (but dont forget to state the exact make and model of your UPS this time ;-) ..see here for details how to go about that: https://networkupstools.org/support.html )