[Resolved] Home Theater Build

DrPeril

Questions answered in this awesome thread of goodness: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7998.msg113243#msg113243

Thanks Raj!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

I've spent some time browsing the forum, and unRAID seems like the ticket for my needs.

Right now I have a Mac Mini running Plex, AirVideo and a few other less important things (management scripts, security camera software, etc, bit it's primary purpose is media server).  Attached I have about 3, 1- or 1.5tb-HDD's and each of those has a backup drive that SuperDuper! clones on a schedule.

It works pretty well, but I'm running out of space, and I'm way past being out of cables and power outlets.  It's time to dust off the PC builder hat and get a server running.

I like some of the builds I've seen here, but it looks like most of the Newegg links are dead (EoL parts).

So, per the New Thread topic, here are the nuts and bolts:

Budget: (Not including drives) I'd like to come in under 5 or 6 hundred bucks, less being better of course.  That said, I'm not opposed to increasing that to whatever it takes if given a reasonable argument.

Drive Numbers: As mentioned, I've got 6 drives that I can take out of enclosures, but capacity and scalability are prime for me.  I want to be able to upgrade as much as I can before I build another server.  In this respect, the MD series are dead on.  15+ bays is a good goal, but looking at newegg I might have to settle for 8 to 12.  Advice here is much appreciated.

Expandability: See above, expandability is a big goal.

Addons: I glanced over them, the iStat one looks handy, the rest are nifty but unimportant to me.  The Mac Mini will do the lifting, I just need this to be a glorified NAS.

Parts: It's been so long since I did any PC building (being a Mac guy spoils you) that I have no parts around worth mentioning.

Links: Not really.  WD Green drives I suppose.  Quite is going to be a major deal as this will need to be near the movie room etc.

So, really what I'm after here is the cheapest (without it being crap) way to get a massive amount of storage connected to my Mac Mini.  I know I could install more server features onto this system, but it's been a Mac house for a while now so Plex / AirVideo / AppleTV2 / etc has established itself a place in my entertainment center.  I have gig router/wires for everything, but even saying that, transfer suggestions are welcome.

As a final note.  The server, networking, etc are all going to be hidden away as best as possible.  Even the Mini if I can manage it (line of sight isn't important we all have iPhones and there's "living Room" iPod Touch 2G for guest / general remote control).  So none of this has to be pretty, just expandable, tidy (I'm a cable nut), and hushed ;)

Thanks guys,

DrPeril

I just got an email reminder that my University has a monthly properties sale.

One could get a Dell GX270 (or 280, basically any Dell that's about 2 - 3 years old) for around 100$.

Could a Dell be used for unRAID, provided I added a SATA controller?

I just got an email reminder that my University has a monthly properties sale.

One could get a Dell GX270 (or 280, basically any Dell that's about 2 - 3 years old) for around 100$.

Could a Dell be used for unRAID, provided I added a SATA controller?

unRAID compatibility is all about the chipsets on the motherboard.  If you find more information about what is in the Dell we can provide some feedback.  Even a link to the configuration of that model would help.

I saw those but some of the mobo links were dead (newegg.com) :( I suppose I'm a bit lame for not looking too much further past that, but I was still in the fearful "is this current or am I messing something up" phase of system building ;)

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.  I sent your link to a few friends (in the same boat) and they are also very grateful!