Compiling Tool for Unraid - Needs Kernel Headers

I'm looking to compile a tool that I will run on my Unraid setup.  This tool requires the kernel headers to compile.  I believe Unraid is based on Slackware so I'm assuming that compiling on Slackware would be the most appropriate.  Is there a specific version that corresponds closest to Unraid 6.9.2?  I'll also need to install the kernel headers on the machine that will be used for compiling and I was wondering if there's any information on whether the standard kernel headers on Slackware are what I should be using.  If so, it is just a matter of matching the correct kernel version (I believe Unraid 6.9.2 is using kernel 5.10.28)?  Or does Unraid have it's own customized kernel headers available somewhere that I should be using?

Thanks,

Harry

7 minutes ago, HarryMuscle said:

It's the panq tool.  It allows monitoring the IT8528 sensor chip.  Possibly also the iManager driver if I can get it to work correctly.

I've already read about that here:

Don't know how much users would benefit from this...

Wouldn't it be better to create a post on the feature request sub forums so this gets baked into unRAID itself?

You can use my Unraid-Kernel-Helper container for this, it also supports manual compiling and integration, but please be aware that I maybe soon will deprecate the Unraid-Kernel-Helper because I want to move away from custom builds since you can now integrate basically everything with plugins to unRAID.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, ich777 said:

I've already read about that here:

Don't know how much users would benefit from this...

Wouldn't it be better to create a post on the feature request sub forums so this gets baked into unRAID itself?

You can use my Unraid-Kernel-Helper container for this, it also supports manual compiling and integration, but please be aware that I maybe soon will deprecate the Unraid-Kernel-Helper because I want to move away from custom builds since you can now integrate basically everything with plugins to unRAID.

Thanks.  Once the development is done on it (I'm working on turning that panq tool into a kernel driver) it would be nice to have it part of Unraid.  It's not a huge target audience but there aren't many alternatives to QNAP for a ready made NAS format machine that can run Unraid.  Fan and temp sensor support seems to be the only missing link that prevents QNAP units and Unraid from being a perfect match.

Edited by HarryMuscle
18 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you give me a resource to that?

Isn't there a Github repo?

I forked the existing repo.  Here's the link: https://github.com/Stonyx/PanQ

I've been overhauling the existing code and making it more generic so that it works on more NAS models.  In the process we discovered that the library from QNAP can be used directly to get the information from the chip so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna switch direction and use that instead of basing things on the reverse engineered code from the original panq.  Should make the tool work on every model from QNAP that has this chip, in theory.  All of that is really to get a better understanding of the existing tool and QNAP library so that the driver can be created.  I haven't made a repo yet for the driver itself but will in the next few days.  Good progress has been made on the driver though.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 3:59 AM, ich777 said:

Can you give me a resource to that?

Isn't there a Github repo?

Here's the repo for the driver:

https://github.com/Stonyx/QNAP-EC

Today we got it fully working.  Currently the development and testing is being done on Debian and Ubuntu but it works great.  You can view temps, fan RPMs, and view and adjust fan PWM values.  Code needs a tiny amount of cleanup still and a few odds and ends but it should be ready for prime time pretty soon.  Need to write some more documentation about it and figure out how to compile it for Unraid too still.

Edited by HarryMuscle