USB Flash Creator

I've now tried 3 different USB sticks:  3, 3.1 and 3.2 storage devices with the USB Flash Creator (All 32GB's) and none of them will start up after setting BIOS to boot first from the detected device.  Finally I dug up an older and smaller 8GB USB 2 key - but it did not help.

Again, I used the USB Flash Creator.  But I can't get it to start into UNRAID.  

Ports: I tried the two USB3.2 Gen 1 and Gen 2 ports on the back as well as the USB 2.0 front panel (via MB header) - Windows 10 always starts although each time I enter the UEFI BIOS, it sees the storage device and I set it to boot from it.

Asus TUF Gaming X570-PRO MB with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU on a new build.

Ideas?

Edited by RAP2
attempt to subscribe - but not available.

OK... nonetheless your idea was easy enough to try... I did the above to one of my USB 3.0 keys and the USB 2 key - and tried both in a USB 3.0 rear-port, as well as a USB 2.0 front-panel port.  No joy.

In both cases, UEFI BIOS sees the UNRAID USB device... it just won't boot it.  Is there some other BIOS setting?  (SATA is in AHCI)

Ahhhh... No I did not.  I did not enter the "Customize" settings at all... I guess I assumed "standard" settings worked.

I recreated the drive using that option, then used the bat to make it bootable, checked BIOS that it was seen and had boot priority and this was some difference.

Now I am getting a message in RED:

====SECURE BOOT VIOLATION====

Invalid signature detected.  Check Secure

Boot Policy in Setup.

[OK]

Hitting enter (OK) caused the system to boot into Windows 10.

I'm assuming that this is a BIOS setting and will review shortly...

OK... my BIOS Boot settings were for WIndows UEFI - I set it to "Other OS" - it worked!

Man - that initial menu to select the boot mode, auto-loaded too fast for a new user... I did not get through reading the items before it simply launched in the first one and asked for a login...

I did a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and it stopped services and exited gracefully.  2nd time around I select UNRAID OS w/GUI. That option gives me a black screen with a flashing cursor... not what I expected for a GUI  Is there a video that shows basic start-up procedures?

11 minutes ago, RAP2 said:

I did a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and it stopped services and exited gracefully.  2nd time around I select UNRAID OS w/GUI. That option gives me a black screen with a flashing cursor... not what I expected for a GUI  Is there a video that shows basic start-up procedures?

Chances are that the drivers for GUI mode are not loaded but Unraid is actually up and running.  Unraid is designed so it can run headless and for many years that was the only option.  Have you tried connecting to it using a web browser from another machine?  

• 2 months later...

I have to ask where in the documentation are any of these issues mentioned? I was using the so-called "quick-install guide", and it makes NO mention of these steps.  Like RAP2, I tried 3 different flash drives and did a bunch of monkeying around before I found this thread.  After following the steps mentioned by Jidavu and JorgeB, I was finally able to get it to work. From my perspective, it is a very frustrating start for a new user that the flash creation tool and instructions omit crucial steps.