Photos software to replace Google photos

Cirion

I have tried finding something that will replace Google photos.

Lychee does not work (stops on missing folders and I have no clue how to fix it)

Librephotos clutters up my dockers (this is the one I like the most, but no Unraid setup for it)

Anyone have a suggestion?

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend using PhotoSync with Photoview. Photoview has the nicest UI/UX (imo), and the PhotoSync android app lets you do automatic uploads and configure directory structure in the app. I have it to auto sync photos in a Pictures/yyyy/mm file structure.

If you want more advanced features, like object recognition, then Photoprism is the way to go. Its not pretty though, imo.

• 2 years later...

@Cirion Would be interested to hear your experiences with Immichh if you go ahead. I tried out the docker a few months ago, and it seemed quite good, but it missed a few photos on importing. Back then and possibly still now, the author of the software warned that it was under heavy development, and I found that after an update some things were broken and some significant reinstallation was needed. Since I need something that was stable and reliable for the family to use, I didn't continue with Immichh.

It does seem like a great solution, but I'm going to wait until it's a bit more settled.

To be fair, you will never find a self hosted equally good alternative to google, microsoft, amazon, dropbox, etc...

I tried lychee, photoprism, immich, librephotos, piwigo, and every other docker container from the CA plugin. Next, you have owncloud, nextcloud, seafile, etc... and they work ok'ish until you try to access your images through a smartphone with mobile internet f.e.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with a paid subscription for a decent cloud-based solution for your photos/videos/files.

We moved to a cloud-based solution a few years ago and use it together with unraid. Best of both worlds.

There are plenty of options if you just want to backup your files to/with unraid but if you need an AIO solution then i suggest you take a look at paid subscriptions.

Wow old thread! But still relevant. Been a long time of this empty photo hosting niche. 

I’ve been using Immich with Google photos for a few months now. Given the cost of Immich, it blows me away. It’s got machine learning (can recognize faces, beaches, chairs etc), the app is well developed and supported, interface is clean and pretty. 

if you read the docs over there they recommend the docker compose method, which is a level above my comfort. So I’ve been using the community apps version, and it’s been aok. You do need to connect it to a postgresql docker. I was able to move Nextcloud over to the same postgresql docker as well, so that’s fine. 

ita a good enough app I’m donating $5/mo to the project via GitHub. I really do believe this is The Way with Immich. 

its still under lots of development, but in my opinion, it’s good enough for prime time. 

here’s my thread on getting it working…

25 minutes ago, rutherford said:

I was able to move Nextcloud over to the same postgresql docker as well, so that’s fine. 

Not recommended to host multiple databases in the same container. Because of the way docker works creating a second container with a different name will take up pretty much exactly the same amount of space as a single container with the same databases. If you insist on using a single container for multiple databases you will likely need to be a database admin and fixer so you can get a problem solved without effecting the other application. If you use two containers it's easy to blow away and restore or reconfigure without effecting other apps.

If you knew all this and already had 2 postgresql containers, sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Not recommended to host multiple databases in the same container. Because of the way docker works creating a second container with a different name will take up pretty much exactly the same amount of space as a single container with the same databases.

I did NOT know this, thank you very much! I'll get the twins separated. Also comforting to know two docker instances take up pretty much the same amount of space as one.

The only thing you need to do is provide a unique name, appdata folder, and port to each additional container.

When you install and do updates you will notice that only the first install does any downloads, the rest just zip through because the layers already exist in the image.

• Upvote 1
On 2/9/2024 at 2:46 AM, Aran said:

There are plenty of options if you just want to backup your files to/with unraid but if you need an AIO solution then i suggest you take a look at paid subscriptions.

Did you ever look at Synology Photos? A long time ago I used the old DS Photo (?) from Synology. It wasn't a good experience, but at first glance Synology Photos looks quite nice. While I do think that Synology hardware is over-priced, if you can make good use of their software the price is much more palatable. unRAID is much more flexible of course, but as this thread shows, we could do with better apps in some areas.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2024 at 7:36 PM, TopQuark said:

No one mentioned NextCloud Memories?  I tried the "top" 5 and none can replace Google Photos except Memories.  This is the best Google Photos replacement I can find and it is fast!

Memories is good, very good, but my problem lately is Nextcloud itself 😞 

When trying to sync a lot of files/images at once, it freaks out with network errors, no matter if I tried with or without reverse proxy and tried to edit the config files to allow bigger files.

So now Im trying out immich for images and Seafile for documents and so far its been faster and less errors than Nextcloud 👍

Edited by isvein
Posted (edited)

A better alternative to Google Photos is Immich!

Immich works nice on Unraid, supports automatic backup from phone, way faster than Nextcloud with Memories, and supports a huge library of photos and videos. Transcodes with GPU axxeleration and uses AI to detect people. Give it a try. Fixed my 1.2TB library :)

Immich

To import huge amount of files, or even a complete google takeout with tags and albums, use Immich GO:

Immich GO

Edited by Cirion
  • Upvote 2

I pay for Google storage, its nice that it combines usage across drive, phots etc. I want to give Immich a try, but I wonder if it can even come close to Google's AI which seems downright scary. It knows where I've gone on vacation, generates collages etc, and even their compressed quality I can't tell the difference.

I will be trying Immich, it does seem the best option right now.