Public Beta Community Applications

Squid

Today I'm releasing a beta / release candidate of a new GUI for Community Applications (thanks to @jonp and @Mex)

Since this is a complete overhaul of the GUI, I need to get feedback / bugs / UX experience etc prior to actually releasing this.

Please (please) try and break it, let me know of any issues, display aberrations etc.  

Outside of the GUI changes, the other notable changes are

• Enable Reinstall Default is now renamed to Install 2nd Instance, and it will automatically rename the app to make things easier when doing this
  • Help Text is completely gone, because it's just not needed at all with this GUI (I hope)

This release does require Unraid 6.9.0+ in order to work.   More features are being added in the coming weeks, but it's time to get the user base's opinions and issues on this.

Translations for the new text aren't available yet, so running in a language other than English will work but you will also see English present in spots.

To install, first uninstall Community Applications.

Then within Plugins - Install Plugin, paste in the following URL

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/betaCA/main/plugins/community.applications.plg

Any issues when running this should be posted in this thread, not the general CA thread.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jimmy898 said:

docker hub

Thanks.  I found that yesterday also.  Debating whether to remove that "feature" completely, since for the last 3+ years due to a change at dockerHub it's not possible to populate the xml with anything other than the repository and you have to go to dockerHub anyways for even a remote possibility of a successful install. 

@Squid would it be possible to get the "Recently Added", "Top Trending Apps" and "Top New Installs" back or better speaking that you've set it as starting page instead of showing all?

For me it was a super cool way selecting "Recently Added" and look from time to time in there if anything new/useful apps where added.

• Like 1

They're there on the home page.

Displays however many fit in a single row (maximum 25), with an option to show more.

The only startup page that's now gone is "updated", since it was basically meaningless and heavily skewed towards plugins since those are the only ones which have to be flagged as an update.  Very rarely did any template maintainers for docker apps ever flag the templates as being updated (especially since the major contributors all have builds done automatically whenever updates are available)

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

One recommendation would be to hide "Sort By"

On my system it does (Switches to Date Added)

Do the other sections switch the sort order properly?  (They should all show no sort order highlighted and bring up the apps in the same order as shown on the home page)

16 minutes ago, Squid said:

Do the other sections switch the sort order properly?

They work all properly and no this is not a race condition because the apps are properly displayed by date when you click on recently added, but why would I need to sort the apps like name when I'm in recently added?

Makes no sense to me, but that's only my opinion... ;)

You're misunderstanding.  They should be sorted by Date Added when you click Show More under recently added.

But, if I'm misunderstanding the sort orders are there to give you the option to resort the displayed apps by however you choose.

(Or put another way, "Show More" is nothing but a shortcut to the "All Apps" category with a sort order preselected.)

EDIT: I've added hide sorting options when using Show More onto the todo list

• Like 1

Great work! I think it looks really nice, definitely a huge improvement. A couple things I've noticed.

Bug:

• The search/clear button is vertically offset from the search bar
  • If you click search with no text the loading animation plays for a few seconds and it does nothing
  • If you click on a Docker that is already installed, click actions then close, the actions menu stays open

Opinion:

• Having the search bar on the left is unusual, since most things place it either in the middle or the right (I prefer right)
  • I would like the close button to be in the top right of the right hand popup
  • I would like to popup to be larger, maybe 15% (I do have a 1440P monitor though)
  • I don't think the popup should cover the banner (minor)

Feature request

• If you search for a Docker that you already have installed, and multiple are available, give some visual indicator of the one currently installed

I would also like to give you a huge thank you for all the work that goes into CA, I really appreciate it.

Chase

2 hours ago, ChaseCares said:

Great work! I think it looks really nice, definitely a huge improvement. A couple things I've noticed.

Bug:

• If you click search with no text the loading animation plays for a few seconds and it does nothing
  • If you click on a Docker that is already installed, click actions then close, the actions menu stays open

Opinion:

• Having the search bar on the left is unusual, since most things place it either in the middle or the right (I prefer right)
  • I would like the close button to be in the top right of the right hand popup
  • I would like to popup to be larger, maybe 15% (I do have a 1440P monitor though)
  • I don't think the popup should cover the banner (minor)

Feature request

• If you search for a Docker that you already have installed, and multiple are available, give some visual indicator of the one currently installed

I would also like to give you a huge thank you for all the work that goes into CA, I really appreciate it.

Chase

I agree with the 3 of the above opinions:

Search should be on the right hand side,

Close should also be on the right and side of pop-ups

Pop-ups should not cover the banner.

3 hours ago, ChaseCares said:

Thanks.  Fixed (it depended upon what your font-size was)

Legacy "feature".  Clearing or searching on blank now does nothing.

Already fixed

The Opinion section is up to @Mex

• Like 1