(Solved) Parity Errors and Odd File Behavoir

4.7 Pro

Currently I'm finishing up a monthly Parity Check and it shows 101 errors and currently 0 sync errors which I've never had before. 60minutes to go it appears

Last night I ripped a movie and copied it to \\tower\Disk3\Movies\720 and it shows

When I fired up my HTPC and looked for my new movie in \\tower\Movies\720 it doesn't show

Of course I thought well maybe I'm nuts and I didn't copy it right so I did it again and sure enough its sitting there in \\tower\Disk3\Movies\720

I should of known something was wrong, but oddly I was doing other things and moved on.

My parity check is still running so I'm a bit confused to what the outcome is going to be and what the solution is going to be.

I've had zero power outages that I know of, but I know one time my 18month boy might of pushed the power button shutting down the system, but at that current time there was no writing activity to the system. I only say I think because I was in my office and all of the sudden I hear beeps and the sound of something coming up and sure enough it was my unRAID machine. I do have a UPS and the required script to shutdown so I figured its ok............ Maybe not?

I figure I'll wait to post up a syslog as soon as the Parity check is done, but figured why not get this out before I hit the shower and stew in my misery. LOL

syslog.txt

screen.JPG.e1c5602f7acd64b17f2e604f7111a746.JPG

I am not an expert, but will give you my thoughts.

1 - The smart report (assuming sda is the parity drive) shows no signs of errors on the drive.  No reallocated sectors, pending reallocations, just 1 offline uncorrectable (never caused problems before) and 5 multi-zone error rate (multi-zone error rate has been suspected of various types of drive problems, so this may be involved in this problem, but likely not IMO).

2 - It is unusual to get the error column increasing.  I don't understand why that is, becuase your log entries are not that unusual.  Maybe when it happens on parity vs a data drive the count is incremented.  

3 - If unRAID is unable to read a block off any disk, its normal procedure is to read the corresponding blocks from all other disks, compute what the block should have been, and then write that block back to the original disk.  Such an event, I would think, would cause a relocated sector on the disk.  So if this happened, I do not know why we're not seeing reallocated sectors.  From a parity check perspective, though, if parity can't be read and it is computed from the other disks, it will always match the value computed from the other disks.  Hence no sync errors.

Some of the symptoms you are reporting of files disappearing I cannot comment on.

I would recommend a shutdown / poweroff (not just a reboot), and try another read-only parity check.  I might also recommend ruling out some of the common things - like bad memory, cables good, power good, etc.

Yeah I was thinking a reboot, but I thought why not run it thru the ringer and let you guys check things out. I saw what I saw in the syslog, but I honestly didn't know what to make of it. It looked like SDA had a connection problem last night when I was trying to copy over BadBoys.avi so I'm wondering if the pairity drive just didn't grab it and thats why its throwing up a red flag.

I haven't moved my machine in several weeks and I have all locking cables, which doesn't remove the possibility, but none the less I wanted that brought to the table for ideas.

Would it be wise to remove that Badboys.avi file from disk3 just in case or do you think if I did the parity drive would see some read/write activity and try to right over data that doesn't exist if thats the case on it.

I'm still stumped why I have that Badboys file on disk3 but doesn't show on /mnt/movies , but then again I only looked via windows and xbmc and haven't tried to look via command line, but I will at lunch.

I'm thinking it could be, but when I saw mention of it in the syslog I can only assume of course that its more of an issue, but to see it on \\tower\disk3\Movies\720 , but not on \mnt\Movies\720 kinda makes me curious like something didn't map right

An update.

I normally view \tower\Movies\720 when I put new movies up by sorting on my PC via date so I don't have to scroll down. I normally copy my movies to disk directly via disk shares \\tower\disk1\Movies\720 or \\tower\disk3\Movies\720

It appears that Bad Boys was already on Disk1 and I added it to Disk3 and thats why I coudn't see it via User shares sorting by date. Boy I feel like a retard LOL

After fixing that mess I turned off my Array, shut off the machine and restarted it followed by restarting the parity check. 316minutes to go.