Appdata on all my disks

I must have somehow did a mistake to set up dockers to install appdata files on a user share instead of my diskshare.

I now have an appdata folder on many of my drives, which obviously is not what it is meant to be.

Any advice where the setting is and how to change this? Also any idea how I can fix this for existing dockers and how to consolidate the appdata again to my disk share?

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There should be no problem with having appdata on a User Share as long as the share is set up correctly. 

Are you trying to get the appdata share onto a pool (cache) drive or onto an array drive?  Most people want it on a pool drive for performance reasons.

It might be worth  attaching your systems diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post so we can see exactly what settings you have used and what the current state of play is.

You did not indicate where you wanted ‘appdata’ to end up?  We need to know so we can give correct instructions for getting it all onto one drive.

Since User Shares are simply an amalgamation of the top level folders on all drives in the array or pools then you cannot stop ‘appdata’ appearing as a User Share unless you disable all User shares, but what you can do is control which drives it ends up on.

you do not seem to have any pool (Cache) set up which most people would have for performance reasons even if only used for hosting dockers and/or VMs.   You do seem to have a number of SSDs as Unassigned Devices?   Is there any reason none of these are set up in a pool (and thus potentially a place for ‘appdata’ to reside).

50 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Sorry, would love to have it on the UD (Samsung disk, folder Docker). Thanks!

If it is going to end up on a UD device then you need to move it manually.   You can use any file manipulation utility that you are comfortable with.  You would then need to reconfigure all the current references to 'appdata' to reference the new path on the UD device.

Note that UD devices do not participate in User Shares, and for this reason many people prefer to set up a Pool dedicated to this use.  When on a pool  then you can leave appdata as a User Share and let Unraid do the work of moving the files onto the pool for you.  Going this route you would not need to reconfigure appdata references.

Thanks.

Is there a setting to set default location to make sure that I don't again run into the same problem?

I can make the manual change for all dockers. I believe the only one that caused trouble was the macinabox docker.

I am not sure I am following (and also didn't figure it out from the link). What would be the advantage of having a dedicated pool vs. a NVME UD drive for dockers?

1 minute ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks.

I am not sure I am following (and also didn't figure it out from the link). What would be the advantage of having a dedicated pool vs. a NVME UD drive for dockers?

From a performance perspective there should be no discernible difference.

the big difference is that Pools can participate in User Shares and UD devices cannot,  that means you cannot take advantage of any UnRAID feature that assumes your are using User Shares,   

It would probably also mean that any time you download a new docker container you would manually need to edit the volume mappings as the author will almost certainly have assumed you are using an appdata share as the default settings.

Pools are part of user shares, so you can let Unraid manage them with user share settings, and just specify the user share to access them instead of specifying a UD path.

I have a "cache" pool for caching user share writes, and a "fast" pool for fast access of files for docker and other things. I have my appdata, domains, and system shares on the fast pool, and set to stay on the fast pool. That way dockers/VMs perform better and don't keep array disks spinning, since these files are always open.

[fast pool] Got it. I can just mount my UD as a pool, right? Pool is basically what used to be called cache pre-6.9, right? Is the XFS format still an issue for the cache/pool drive? This would be drive that holds my docker container and also one of my VMs.

[cache pool] I will separately look into this. Somehow thought this was a thing of the past, but let me look into it once I have my docker "issue" sorted out.

You can have multiple pools, named as you wish. "cache" was a pool and most people will still have a pool named "cache" after 6.9+ unless they change it.

UD has nothing to do with pools, but you can create a new pool using a disk that was unassigned.

My pool named "cache" is 2x500GB SSDs as btrfs raid1 because that is what I already had before I added my fast pool.

My pool named "fast" is 256GB NVMe as XFS. I use CA Backup plugin to backup appdata.

I tried to make the switch, but now my docker and also my VM is no longer starting up. Says "failed to start".

I believe the issue is that the docker vdisk and also libvirt used to be on "disks/samsung..." and are now on "disks/cache" or whatever the pool is labeled.

What are the default locations for me to set the docker vidsk and libvirt and in what settings can I find this?

Also on related note, I realized that there is a setting called "docker data-root", which is set to "btrfs vdisk". Shall I change this to XFS or would this corrupt the existing vdisk file?

Thanks again for your help!

4 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Can send diagnostic shortly. Change is that I changed my "docker disk" from UD to Pool. So, not surprising that it no longer starts up docker and VM, but need to find the right setting and default to fix this.

The default locations are set in what I would think are the obvious places :)  They are under Settings->Docker and Settings->VM manager.

if you had any docket containers referring to the UD location they would need changing.

16 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

I made what seems the "obvious" changes.

The usual share for docker.img and libvirt.img is the system share.

You specified a share named Docker for the docker.img. It is cache-prefer, but its files are on disk5 and can't be moved to cache while Docker service is running.

Similarly for libvirt.img, a cache-prefer share named VM on disk5 which can't be moved while VM Manager service is running.

Your appdata share is cache-no, and all over the array. It must be set to cache-prefer so it can be moved to cache, and, like the img files, nothing can move open files, so Docker service must be disabled to get those moved.

After you get those moved, you can enable Docker and VM Manager. You will have to reinstall your dockers using the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page.

But, before any of that...

I thought your intention was to created a new pool using that Unassigned drive. If so, then you need to set that up first, and set your appdata, Docker, and VM shares to use that new pool instead of the pool named "cache".

Ok, I reversed the change I did and my dockers and VMs are back. So, that's good.

Currently, most of my docker containers are on an UD. This is the disk that I wanted to change to pool. I just assigned it, so thought this was all what was needed.

How do you suggest to set the location of docker vidsk and libvirt? /mnt/user/sytem?

What is cache-prefer and how to set it?

Do I have to reinstall all docker containers or can I move it? I am worried to lose data.

38 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Currently, most of my docker containers are on an UD. This is the disk that I wanted to change to pool. I just assigned it, so thought this was all what was needed.

Your diagnostics didn't show any pools other than a pool named "cache". What exactly do you mean by "I just assigned it"?

38 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Do I have to reinstall all docker containers or can I move it? I am worried to lose data.

Previous Apps will reinstall your dockers exactly as they were.

I stopped the array. There is a section called "Pool Devices" and underneath it says "Device" and underneath "Cache". The identifcation and unassigned. I used the drop-down to select my UD. And then started the array.

Also, what about my other questions?

How do you suggest to set the location of docker vidsk and libvirt? /mnt/user/sytem?

4 hours ago, steve1977 said:

I stopped the array. There is a section called "Pool Devices" and underneath it says "Device" and underneath "Cache". The identifcation and unassigned. I used the drop-down to select my UD. And then started the array.

OK, I think I see what you did. You changed the disk assigned to the pool named "cache". Instead, you need to add a pool with another name and assign the disk to that pool.

The system share is at /mnt/user/system (note the typo in your path). The system share is the "standard" share to use for these, but it is not a requirement. After you get another pool setup I will tell you another way to set that path.

Each of your user shares has various settings. There is a setting for which pool to use, and a setting for how to use that pool. Cache-prefer means prefer to keep the files on cache (or whatever pool is selected) and if there isn't room the files can overflow to the array (Minimum Free setting determines whether it thinks there is room), and mover will move files for the share from array to cache if it can. Nothing can move open files as already noted.

There is Help in the webUI for many things. The Help (?) button on the main bar will toggle help on/off for the whole webUI. You can also toggle help for a specific setting by clicking on its label. And there is a link to the documentation (manual) at lower right in the webUI, and also at the top and bottom of every forum page.

Thanks. I think I am gradually getting there.

I have now created a new pool (called Pool). I left "cache" unchanged and no disk assigned.

I have manually called all appdata folders to the new pool disk. Also created a system folder and manually copied the docker.img file there.

However, I cannot see the folders on the pool disk under my user shares. Neither in the Unraid GUI nor when using putty.

Any thoughts?