Offsite Backup

darrenyorston

I am looking to expand my backup approach. Currently I am backing up important materials to a separate, but local, storage system. I am interested in adding in some remote storage. I was recently watching a Network Chuck video where he was showing how he had files in sync between two remote locations with Synology NAS.

I was wondering if it is possible to do the same thing but from Unraid to an OTS NAS like the Synology. Obviously do the main backup on site due to the size of the data involved, then move the devices to their remote locations.

Anyone done this? Or seen someone doing this?

• 4 weeks later...

I had looked at a few of those. I was looking to avoid using cloud services for obvious reasons, which necessitates a local solution, either an OTS NAS, a home brew NAS or a PC. I was against a PC, particularly for the remote site as I want something which would be unobtrusive and require no interaction from people at the host location. Hence why I was thinking of a OTS NAS like the Synology. I know I could have two Synology NAS, one remote and a second in the same physical location as my main server but as I already have a local backup this would be a duplication.

I was wondering whether there was a docker container which allowed for the mirroring function used by Synology. Essentially that I could connect a remote NAS to the docker container for the data sync.

By and large these apps do go for "easy off site backup" but what I'm thinking is a slick active interface, that can ALSO simply sync with a local USB drive. I bet one of them can simply do that.

But maybe there's a solution inside the Unraid ecosystem, like RAID 1 mirror of a user share.?

JohnathanM is a heavy hitter around the forums, he recommended Duplicati as being able to do it all. And the backup should be as physically far away as possible: not in the same case, not on the same power supply. Good points.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/72167-mirroring-shares-on-multiple-drives/?do=findComment&comment=663460

I'm thinking an external USB drive on my desktop computer that's usually on. Share that over the network, and see if I can get Duplicati to sync several critical user shares to that drive.

Edited by dkerlee

Its obviously a straight forward process to do periodic backups to a Synology NAS from unraid. Keeping two Synology devices in sync over the internet is built into Synology NAS so that isnt a problem. I was hoping someone might have containerised Synology's Cloud Station app which would allow unraid to sync files directly to a remote site.