[SOLVED] Docker container missing...but only one...

rmp5s

This morning, I noticed one of my Docker containers, Krusader, was missing.  I thought this was odd as, sure I haven't used it in a while, but I thought it was still installed.  I dunno so I reinstalled it from Community Applications.

...aaaaaaand it's still gone...

I found some previous threads about Docker containers disappearing but all the threads I saw seemed to refer to ALL of the Docker containers disappearing.  I only have this one that's gone.

Very strange.  Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks!!

I noticed that, in "Previous Apps" in Community Applications, Krusader had no description...

image.png.904639413e761e7ab0cf7e5d699c6c0d.png

Searched for Krusader and installed the Binhex version and it seems to work fine.

This is odd, and it's kind of annoying that all my settings I had in Krusader before are gone, but hey...whatever, I guess.

Did the dev discontinue the app or something?  Can they do that?  It'd be kind of strange if a developer could make apps disappear from users' machines...

1 minute ago, rmp5s said:

Can they do that?  It'd be kind of strange if a developer could make apps disappear from users' machines...

No that can't happen.

Your syslog is flooded with this

Oct  5 18:59:59 Tower kernel: ACPI Error: AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT, Evaluating _PMM (20180810/power_meter-338)
Oct  5 19:00:10 Tower kernel: ACPI Error: SMBus/IPMI/GenericSerialBus write requires Buffer of length 66, found length 32 (20180810/exfield-390)
Oct  5 19:00:10 Tower kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PMI0._PMM, AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20180810/psparse-514)

so can't really see what happened before it rotated twice. Maybe you still have older syslogs in /var/log. You should try to get those syslog entries to stop.

I notice your docker.img is /dev/loop4, that suggests something happened to the original docker.img and docker service had to recreate it.

Your appdata, domains, system shares are on the array and set to be moved to the array. Best if these are on cache and set to stay on cache. With them on the array, your dockers/VMs will not perform as well, and array disks will not spindown since these shares always have open files.

See the section on moving from array to pool here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Moving_files_between_a_Pool_and_the_array

If you continue to have problems you might consider recreating docker.img

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Create_the_Docker_image_file

and reinstalling your containers

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Installing_Docker_Applications

Yea, I didn't think that would be possible.  That'd be a pretty huge security/privacy issue if devs could remove stuff from users' machines...

Hmm...alright, I'll give that a try.  I moved appdata and system to the cache but can't move domains there because it's too big.

And yea, I've had to recreate Docker a few times because it poo'd the bed on me.  Kind of a pain but it's an easy enough fix.

Thanks for all the help!!

• rmp5s changed the title to [SOLVED] Docker container missing...but only one...
1 hour ago, rmp5s said:

can't move domains there because it's too big.

Some people create large vdisks for their VMs so domains will be too big. VMs can access Unraid storage so it might not always be necessary to create separate large vdisks for a VM, just something large enough for the OS itself.

1 hour ago, rmp5s said:

had to recreate Docker a few times

Have you been filling it? It shouldn't grow. I have 18 dockers and they use about half of 20G I have allocated.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Some people create large vdisks for their VMs so domains will be too big. VMs can access Unraid storage so it might not always be necessary to create separate large vdisks for a VM, just something large enough for the OS itself.

Have you been filling it? It shouldn't grow. I have 18 dockers and they use about half of 20G I have allocated.

The only VM that is running has its own dedicated SSD. It isn't on the array at all and none of my other VMs are on most of the time. I'll look into moving those over but I can't imagine how they'd be affecting performance.

No idea if it's filled up in the past, but it's currently using only 9GB of 30GB.