first build help

Denis77

Hi,

i would like to build my first unraid, low power and low noise, and i did several research during these days... I would like to know your opinion before start buying items... Consider that i'll use it at home (just 1 user, 2 max ) as file server and plex server... i'll start with old 1tb and 2tb hd just to test it, but i don't think i'll never need more than 4 data hd... My build will be:

Case: Fractal Desig Node 804
CPU:  Ryzen 5 1600 (65W) AM4
MoBo: Asus Prime B450M-A II AMD AM4
RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666
Diss: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: Mars Gaming MPB750
Exp. Card: JMB585 m2 to 5 sata
SSD (Cache): Kingston 512GB

i'll add a parity check hd after some test, at the moment i'll use maybe the 2tb (was thinking about a ironwolf pro 7200k 4/8tb)

What's your thoughts? Will the Hyper 212 EVO Fit inside the Node 804?

thanx in advance

Denis

I used the R5-1600 AF for about 6 months with a B450 board, it was in my opinion a sweet spot for power consumption and cpu power.  There are two versions of that cpu, the original 1600AE and the updated 1600AF, you want the AF version and not the AE one.  The AF is a Zen+ chip and is more powerful and has updated architecture that the AE lacks.  I do not know if the Hyper 212 will fit but it should.  The stock cooler is actually decent so if the Hyper 212 doesn't fit it is unlikely you will overpower the stock cooler unless you are maxing the CPU out for extended periods of time.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:51 PM, Denis77 said:

Consider that i'll use it at home (just 1 user, 2 max ) as file server and plex server...  i don't think i'll never need more than 4 data hd... My build will be:

Case: Fractal Desig Node 804
CPU:  Ryzen 5 1600 (65W) AM4
MoBo: Asus Prime B450M-A II AMD AM4
RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666
Diss: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: Mars Gaming MPB750
Exp. Card: JMB585 m2 to 5 sata
SSD (Cache): Kingston 512GB

PSU: get a quality unit from a reputable brand.

Exp. Card: you won't need one if you get a MB with enough of SATA ports

I changed my config and I went in an intel i3 10100... that's what I get:

- Fractal Desig Node 804

- Intel I3 10100

- msi b560m pro-vdh

- Crucial RAM CT2K8G4DFRA266 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Kit

- Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W, 80 Plus Gold, semi-modular (Maybe it's overkill...)

later I have to buy and m2 ssd for cache (don't know if 512gb or 1tb) and hd's... I'll start tests with 2 old one (1tb+2tb) to get practice... 

thanx for your suggestions

14 minutes ago, Denis77 said:

- Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W, 80 Plus Gold, semi-modular (Maybe it's overkill...)

This is an unknown brand with unknown long term quality.

Spend some time on PSU research and choose a model with a long term record from a well-known brand.

For your use the available wattage is not important - select a unit of the lowest available wattage rating within the chosen model line.