Create VM from existing windows installation

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into the possibilities of running unraid for some data reasons and some security/fail safe reasons. I would like to hear, if it's possible to take my existing installation of windows 10 and create a VM from that, or in other words "move" my current installation into a VM in unraid and continue running it from there?

Best regards

10 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Move the whole disk, what does that entail?

Take whatever disk you're using in your W10 machine and move it into your Unraid server as an unassigned device, then assign that to the VM and it should boot like it never left (assuming it was your boot drive and the boot manager is set up correctly).

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

Take whatever disk you're using in your W10 machine and move it into your Unraid server as an unassigned device, then assign that to the VM and it should boot like it never left (assuming it was your boot drive and the boot manager is set up correctly).

Ah, I see. I wanted to move it as a WM, because it would be easy to create a back up image of that VM, and should the W10 install go wonky, it would be easy to just fire up the back up image and continue from there.

• Like 1