[Plugin] Snapshots

21 hours ago, SimonF said:

Not currently I have something similar for docker folders, would you be able to share examples via DM?

I can though I am not sure what help it would be. Unlike the case with docker, the paths/subvolume names to exclude for urBackup will be unique to each installation. My hope would be for a way to enter one or more arbitrary paths and the plugin filter out any subvolume/snapshot mounted at that path or in a subdirectory thereof.  Similar to the exclude textbox available in the File Integrity plugin for example.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Peter Braun said:

Has anybody tested this plugin with the new release candidates for Unraid 6.12.0 ?

I have it running on my test systems and have been through the betas. Seems to be running as expected with my test setups but dont use for real work loads.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to make this work on the root, but I cannot setup a schedule as I just get an empty page when I click apply. If I manually make a snapshot of the root it does work.

Because of this I thought that I maybe should go the way that the manual says and set up subvolumes. And here is my question:
If I want to utilize Unraids ability to span folders over multiple disk do I then have to set up identical subvolumes on all my disks and then setup schedules for them each?

7 minutes ago, Larsen1 said:

If I want to utilize Unraids ability to span folders over multiple disk do I then have to set up identical subvolumes on all my disks and then setup schedules for them each?

Yes, each filesystem needs to be snapshoted individually.

Now I've almost given up. I can still not get schedules to work. I've attached three images to this post. In the first image you can see that I can manually make a snapshot. In the second image you can see the settings I'm using when I try to set up a schedule for the folder "/mnt/disk1/photos". In the third image you just see the blank screen I get when I click "Apply" on the form from the second image.

snapshot1.thumb.png.5096b8b54cb4accdd3a60bdb33aae56a.png

snapshot2.thumb.png.59e6e04a894b618a5bcf2db277abe96f.png

snapshot3.thumb.png.0304bf2f816eee28eb8064bc2008ab2c.png

Does anybody have a guess at what I'm doing wrong?

10 hours ago, Larsen1 said:

Now I've almost given up. I can still not get schedules to work. I've attached three images to this post. In the first image you can see that I can manually make a snapshot. In the second image you can see the settings I'm using when I try to set up a schedule for the folder "/mnt/disk1/photos". In the third image you just see the blank screen I get when I click "Apply" on the form from the second image.

I will look to see if I can recreate.

22 hours ago, Larsen1 said:

What version of unraid are you using?

On 4/6/2023 at 8:11 PM, Larsen1 said:

I can confirm this is a 6.12 issue, I will look at a fix. The issue does not show on 6.11 and schedules created on 6.11 show ok on 6.12 when upgraded. Seems to be an issue when no schedules are defined and related to PHP8 changes in 6.12

On 4/7/2023 at 8:16 PM, Larsen1 said:

6.12-rc2, but I had the problem with 6.11 aswell

as a work around create the following file this will allow you to create a schedule.

nano  /tmp/snapshots/config/subvolsch.cfg 
{
    "\/mnt\/disk2\/photos": [],
    "\/mnt\/disk1\/photos": []
}

2 hours ago, SimonF said:

as a work around create the following file this will allow you to create a schedule.

nano  /tmp/snapshots/config/subvolsch.cfg 
{
    "\/mnt\/disk2\/photos": [],
    "\/mnt\/disk1\/photos": []
}

It seems like it worked. Thank you!

But I'm still pretty sure that it didn't work when I was on 6.11.5 because I upgraded to 6.12.0-rc2 in hope that that would work.

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, emrepolat7 said:

I thought that snapshot is not available on XFS. Recently I read that shaphot can be done through reflink. Do you think this can be implemented  in your plugin?

Not going to have time to look at at present any limks to info?

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot get this working. Every time I take a snapshot the folder is empty.

image.thumb.png.19f0067ebe457207be75532c1f5a82e4.png

And here is the directory:

image.thumb.png.8abc0b39918da2a6a39eb291948c0be5.png

What I am trying to do, I moved my appdata for the dockers to this drive that is BTRFS, I would like to take a snapshot of it and then use duplicati to backup the snapshot online. 

Edited by ZerkerEOD
Added context
Just now, SimonF said:

What is in vmstorage-backup?

Nothing, it was the directory I was putting the snapshots in. So I feel I am messing up. These are my current directories on vmstorage. I am wanting to get rid of appdata-backup in favor of the snapshots. Currently, I have the script that stops all containers, then copies the appdata directory into the appdata-backup and then restarts them all. But I read somewhere that taking a snapshot is better and you can leave the dockers running.

So right now, I just want to snapshot the appdata directory.

image.png.4d1f3f1c27238909ea811daf51dc99c9.png

1 hour ago, ZerkerEOD said:

Nothing, it was the directory I was putting the snapshots in. So I feel I am messing up. These are my current directories on vmstorage. I am wanting to get rid of appdata-backup in favor of the snapshots. Currently, I have the script that stops all containers, then copies the appdata directory into the appdata-backup and then restarts them all. But I read somewhere that taking a snapshot is better and you can leave the dockers running.

So right now, I just want to snapshot the appdata directory.

image.png.4d1f3f1c27238909ea811daf51dc99c9.png

The folder needs to be a subvolume so create a test subvolume put some data in it and test a snapshot.

3 hours ago, SimonF said:

You would need to rename dir and copy/move the data back to a new subvolume with the orginal name. Make sure you have a backup.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. That worked. Out of curiosity, if I took a snapshop while a VM was running would that cause any issues if I needed to recover from the snapshot?

16 minutes ago, ZerkerEOD said:

Awesome, thanks for the tips. That worked. Out of curiosity, if I took a snapshop while a VM was running would that cause any issues if I needed to recover from the snapshot?

Yes it could do a parts of the disk may not have been written out of memory. Best to stop the vm.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...