Help with APC Backup and unraid 6.9.2

maxse

Hi folks,

I need some help, not sure if this is the correct subforum, please feel free to move it is not.

I started having an issue with my remote unraid server reporting that the APC1001 Pro (600W) backup power supply is always on "low battery status" I'm not sure when this issue started happening. I have never had an issue with 3 units over may years that I've owned this exact APC backup.

I did purchased it used, and originally bought a new battery for it. When I started seeing unraid report low battery and a runtime of only 1-2 minutes, I bought a new battery, and I'm having the same issue!

This does not happen with my main unraid server where I have had a new battery for 2-3 years even. Any idea of what is causing this? Could it be the actual unit breaking, as opposed to a battery? Remember, this is a brand new battery that I just installed into it. 

I would imagine if the unit was going dead it would simply not power on instead of reporting low battery even though the battery is brand new and the other battery in it was only 1 year old. 

The load on the UPS is only 33% ~200 watts. Any ideas?

POWER
UPS Load: 25.0 % - 150 Watts

UPS status:Online LOWBATT
Battery charge:100.0 Percent
Runtime left:1.9 Minutes
Nominal power:600 Watts

When you replaced the battery, did you just put it in the unit and called it a day ?

If so, it is possible that the APC firmware still consider the battery as "old".

I had a similar problem and I had to plug the USB of the UPS in a windows machine, install a dedicated APC software, update the install date of the battery and run some test on it.

After that it was OK.

• Like 1

Oh wow. Thank you so much folks!

yes, I just went ahead and popped it in. 
Anyone know if this could be done in Linux? I have this installed in a remote location and it would be difficult. Is there anything in Unraid that can do this?

I guess worst case is I could look into installed a windows VM? But then how would I pass it through to the windows machine?

I posted about this a while ago...  

Have a read of that thread. The suggested method that I give there for recalibrating the UPS settings for a replaced battery is probably what you need.  This can all be done from Unraid via a command line window or ssh session for example. 

Edited by S80_UK
  • Like 1