5400 vs 7200 drives

Drive Speed  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but did a quick search and didn't come up with much.

I have a 9 disk array + two parity drives.  2 - 500 GB SSDs and 4 - 3 TB  HDD's and 3 - 6 TB HDD's.  All the HDD's are 7200 RPM.

It's time to upsize a little, and replace the older 3 TB drives in doing so.  

I find myself questioning the need to stay with 7200 RPM drives over 5400, based on the current price difference.   Any thoughts one way or the other.  

• I know read speeds for 7200 are irrelevant for a media server in this discussion
  • Are unRaid write speeds appreciably different with 5-15GB files if both data and parity are 7200 RPM
  • Are parity checks appreciably faster with 7200 RPM drives and then might see a slowdown with introducing a 5400?  (right now there is the tail off as i approach 3 TB and then it speeds back up, but I wouldn't want the whole process to slow down over 2 drives).

Any suggestions or insight is appreciated.

Edited by TODDLT

I might not be remembering this correctly but thought when unRaid writes to the drive it's actually a multi-step write-read-write, and that's why the drive speed helped overall write speed.  Acknowledge I'm a rung or two above my head in knowledge base so just making sure I'm clear.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, TODDLT said:

I find myself questioning the need to stay with 7200 RPM drives over 5400, based on the current price difference.   Any thoughts one way or the other. 

i doubt you'll see much of real world speed differences in the NAS environment.

I think what would be more of interest is a difference in their load/unload cycle ratings:

Edited by Lolight