Help with backup strategy (on prem)

volcs0

I have 3-2-1 backups of my very-most-important stuff - family photos, videos, etc. I have multiple off-site redundant backups of these precious items.

I would like to also have a backup of my music, TV, and. movies. Yes, I know that many don't back up their media, preferring to rely on *arr software for reconstituting a crash. But my stomach is not that strong. I've spent 20 years curating and giving lots of love to these collections.

I have enough external hard drive space to back most of it up right now (~25Tb).

What is the best way to do this - and to sustain it going forward?

These are the two options I can think of:

1. Back up to the external hard drives via USB to my unRAID. 

2. I have a spare MacMini that I could set up as an end point for a continuously running backup on the home network. I'm not sure the best way to do this - maybe have the drives mounted as network shares via SMB and have backup software running that does daily incremental backups. 

3. I don't want to set up a completely separate unRAID server for mirroring, as others have suggested - mainly because I think it is overkill and I don't see the point in the expense of the parity and cache drives.

4. I don't want to use cloud backup - it would take months to seed the first one. And it would be too expensive.

Ideally, once a drive is filled, I could take it offsite (e.g., to my office) and leave it there.

Other thoughts? I'll sleep much better once this is done.

Thanks for the advice.

16 hours ago, volcs0 said:

I have 3-2-1 backups of my very-most-important stuff - family photos, videos, etc. I have multiple off-site redundant backups of these precious items.

me too

16 hours ago, volcs0 said:

don't want to set up a completely separate unRAID server for mirroring, as others have suggested - mainly because I think it is overkill and I don't see the point in the expense of the parity and cache drives.

parity and cache are not required. I have a backup server built from old parts and smaller disks I have accumulated from upgrading and upsizing disks in my main server. I rsync some of my less important stuff to it every month or so.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, trurl said:

me too

parity and cache are not required. I have a backup server built from old parts and smaller disks I have accumulated from upgrading and upsizing disks in my main server. I rsync some of my less important stuff to it every month or so.

Just to be clear - 

You have a backup unRAID without parity and cache? That sounds easy enough...