RAID card not detecting, because its not IT mode ?

i bought a few drives and a RAID card second hand, the card gets power but doesnt show nor detect any drives, i was told it was in IT mode but they showed me the link to it from aliexpress and i dont think it is, it actually states it on the listing, i think theres a bit of confusion to what IT mode is, heres a link to the actual card he bought originally...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000065128684.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.10ad4c4dETZLat

Now i was warned about buying these cards from china as they are usually fake, thats not an issue for me as long as its working, he told me that it worked in his system....

https://gyazo.com/409d7a818b1ddd247874a78f0a63625e

He is happy to take it back but i would prefer to use it as the SAS ports are on the back of the card, a spare one i am using right now has the ports on the top and cable doest quite reach without stressing it. 

If it is the fact that it isnt in IT mode or the correct IT mode for unraid, is it easy to flash ?

Edited by loady

Diagnostics would help.  With adapters like the H310 you won't normally see the drives at the PC's BIOS level.  You may see them in the cards BIOS if you specifically enter it.  The diagnostics would tell us whether Unraid can see the card and would also tell us what the card can see as far as drives are concerned.

(Really annoying that I can't seem to stop the forum s/w highlighting the word "diagnostics" like that.)

Edited by S80_UK
On 10/15/2021 at 3:11 AM, loady said:

the card gets power but doesnt show nor detect any drives

My Dell H310 required the tape trick mod.  Many systems will not even boot with the Dell H310 installed unless you do the tape mod.  If the attached drives are not showing up in the motherboard BIOS, they will never show up in unRAID.   I bought a server pull H310 off eBay and flashed the card to IT mode myself (without the card BIOS).

Some Kapton tape over pins 5 and 6 did the trick for me and it has been smooth sailing every since.

You might also want to make sure your motherboard BIOS is updated to the most recent for the board.  Recently an unRAID user had the same issue of drives attached to a Dell H200 (same as H310 but different SAS port location) not showing up at all in unRAID.  His server booted with the card installed but no drives showed up.  A motherboard BIOS upgrade fixed it for him.

Edited by Hoopster
10 hours ago, Hoopster said:

If the attached drives are not showing up in the motherboard BIOS, they will never show up in unRAID. 

Sorry - but that's not true as far as I am concerned.  I have never seen the drives attached to an H310 (or H200) appear in the motherboard's BIOS, but Unraid has always seen them just fine.   Drives attached to a motherboard should be visible in the BIOS, of course.

And yes, I have also had to do the tape mod on my H310.

15 hours ago, Hoopster said:

My Dell H310 required the tape trick mod.  Many systems will not even boot with the Dell H310 installed unless you do the tape mod.  If the attached drives are not showing up in the motherboard BIOS, they will never show up in unRAID.   I bought a server pull H310 off eBay and flashed the card to IT mode myself (without the card BIOS).

Some Kapton tape over pins 5 and 6 did the trick for me and it has been smooth sailing every since.

You might also want to make sure your motherboard BIOS is updated to the most recent for the board.  Recently an unRAID user had the same issue of drives attached to a Dell H200 (same as H310 but different SAS port location) not showing up at all in unRAID.  His server booted with the card installed but no drives showed up.  A motherboard BIOS upgrade fixed it for him.

I have another one in the server working fine, if the bios was the issue then wouldnt that one not work..i have three in total but want to use this one because the port are in a better position

15 hours ago, Hoopster said:

If the attached drives are not showing up in the motherboard BIOS, they will never show up in unRAID

A Drive attached to a Controller or HBA can never be shown in a Mainboard's BIOS... how shall the BIOS see or know these Drives?

Edited by Zonediver
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 6:33 PM, loady said:

I have another one in the server working fine, if the bios was the issue then wouldnt that one not work..i have three in total but want to use this one because the port are in a better position

The issue is cause by incompatibility between the HBA card's BIOS and the motherboard's BIOS.  That is why cards may work fine in some motherboards but not in others.  I have had both scenarios in my setups at different times.