Version: 6.9.2 - Lost all docker settings/config

Hello Unraid Community!

I've just recently started with unraid and have been trying to learn as much as I can. I set up unraid a week ago and all was working fine until I stopped all my dockers, manually ran the mover, then manually ran the parity check.

The next morning my docker containers do not contain any of the saved settings. Plex no longer points to my movie/tv shares, deluge doesn't boot, and sonarr/radarr do not have any of the content in them. (Prior it was all setup and working fine).

I believe the problem is with my shares and how they utilize the cache drive. When I ran the mover maybe it just shoved the config off? But I'm not really sure what I did wrong. Any help/insights is appreciated.

Screenshot_9.thumb.png.85e279f2d639c7d2a897a3da7621d890.png

Screenshot_8.thumb.png.c5accd101a4d81ea71734fe677d81a26.png

I tried following this guide as best I could for the setup: http://www.exzacklyright.com/2020/02/how-to-setup-and-install-unraid-plex.html

Insert image from URL

tortuga-diagnostics-20211015-0720.zip

Edited by ImEhCanadian
10 minutes ago, trurl said:

Why do you have appdata, domains, system shares set to be moved to the array? If these are on the array, dockers/VMs won't perform as well due to slower parity array, and they will keep array disks spunup since they always have open files.

Are you referring to how I have the shares set to "Cache - Yes" instead of Cache - Prefer? Or where is this set?

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Also noticed in syslog that you have CA Backup configured to backup /mnt/cache/appdata. But your appdata setting has moved some of appdata to the array so those won't be included in the backup.

I was trying to set it up so Appdata lives on the Cache drive, and backups are stored on the array.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

The page you linked says:

which is not what you did. You set them to cache=yes

I thought the only difference between Cache - Yes and Cache - Prefer was that Cache prefer stores the files on the cache until it's full, then moves to the Array. My cache drive didn't even reach 75% so I thought having this set to Yes it'd perform the exact same as prefer.

8 minutes ago, ImEhCanadian said:

Are you referring to how I have the shares set to "Cache - Yes" instead of Cache - Prefer? Or where is this set?

I was trying to set it up so Appdata lives on the Cache drive, and backups are stored on the array.

I thought the only difference between Cache - Yes and Cache - Prefer was that Cache prefer stores the files on the cache until it's full, then moves to the Array. My cache drive didn't even reach 75% so I thought having this set to Yes it'd perform the exact same as prefer.

Oh Jeez 😢. I can't read.... just read now that "when mover invokes" prefer moves them from array to cache... I'm an idiot. Thank you for the help @trurl.

So to be clear, the problem that I faced is because my AppData got moved from cache to the array? I just set the shares AppData, System, and Domains to cache Prefer so that should fix the issue in the future right?

Can I restore my old appdata? Now that I set them back to Prefer, can I just invoke my mover again and it'll be fixed?? :D

Edited by ImEhCanadian
28 minutes ago, ImEhCanadian said:

Can I restore my old appdata? Now that I set them back to Prefer, can I just invoke my mover again and it'll be fixed??

Mover won't overwrite existing files, so if starting the containers created new files with the same names as before on the cache pool, mover won't fix it.

The quickest correct way to fix it is using mc at the console command line, and move the files from the array disk to the cache pool. DO NOT go into the /mnt/user folder for this specific operation, it will result in data loss. You want to move the appdata and system folder from /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/cache, overwriting all. The docker and VM services must be DISABLED when you do this, not just stopped, you must not have a tab for docker or vm in the GUI. You also need to set appdata and system shares back to cache prefer.

After the files are moved back, you can enable the docker and VM services in the settings, and things should be back to normal.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Mover won't overwrite existing files, so if starting the containers created new files with the same names as before on the cache pool, mover won't fix it.

The quickest correct way to fix it is using mc at the console command line, and move the files from the array disk to the cache pool. DO NOT go into the /mnt/user folder for this specific operation, it will result in data loss. You want to move the appdata and system folder from /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/cache, overwriting all. The docker and VM services must be DISABLED when you do this, not just stopped, you must not have a tab for docker or vm in the GUI. You also need to set appdata and system shares back to cache prefer.

After the files are moved back, you can enable the docker and VM services in the settings, and things should be back to normal.

Urgh @JonathanM thanks so much! I had to look up what Midnight Commander was and how to use it. In case someone down the line makes the same mistake as me use this for reference: https://linuxcommand.org/lc3_adv_mc.php

Things are back to normal! Thanks Mods for the knowledge share :).

TLDR - Read the fine print on "Cache Prefer vs Cache Yes" for your shares. It affects mover settings as well.

36 minutes ago, ImEhCanadian said:

mover ran again last night and I lost all my Queued downloads for Deluge. I have complete, and incomplete folders setup and they're under the downloads directory. Could the issue be a result of my incomplete directory being moved to the array?

Shouldn't matter, /mnt/user/downloads will show all content of /mnt/disk1/downloads and /mnt/cache/downloads, so that shouldn't be the issue. However, why not set the downloads to cache only?

3 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Shouldn't matter, /mnt/user/downloads will show all content of /mnt/disk1/downloads and /mnt/cache/downloads, so that shouldn't be the issue. However, why not set the downloads to cache only?

@JonathanM I'd do this by setting the Downloads share to "Cache - Prefer" correct?

If I do this, wouldn't my media content live exclusively on the cache drive? Radarr/Sonarr HardLink to the Downloads folder. So from my understanding if I set Downloads to Prefer Cache, my media would live exclusively on the cache and not be backed up to the array. Radarr/Sonarr would store the HardLinks to the array, but being as that is just a link to the Downloads my media still wouldn't be getting backed up. (Please teach me if I'm wrong).

4 minutes ago, ImEhCanadian said:

@JonathanM I'd do this by setting the Downloads share to "Cache - Prefer" correct?

If I do this, wouldn't my media content live exclusively on the cache drive? Radarr/Sonarr HardLink to the Downloads folder. So from my understanding if I set Downloads to Prefer Cache, my media would live exclusively on the cache and not be backed up to the array. Radarr/Sonarr would store the HardLinks to the array, but being as that is just a link to the Downloads my media still wouldn't be getting backed up. (Please teach me if I'm wrong).

I don't think hardlinks work like that, I could be wrong but I think moving the source file breaks the hardlink. So if you need to use hardlinks I think you will have to set cache: no so the downloads go directly to the array.

I don't use hardlinks, so maybe there is a better way of doing things that I'm not aware of. The user share system complicates hardlinks greatly.

27 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

I don't think hardlinks work like that, I could be wrong but I think moving the source file breaks the hardlink. So if you need to use hardlinks I think you will have to set cache: no so the downloads go directly to the array.

I don't use hardlinks, so maybe there is a better way of doing things that I'm not aware of. The user share system complicates hardlinks greatly.

@JonathanM If you don't use hardlinks, do you have your media copied from your downloads (which is on your cache drive) over to your media share (on your array). Then how do you go about deleting the original file from your cache? Is their a setting in somewhere for once the file is copied to your array the original gets deleted?

3 hours ago, ImEhCanadian said:

@JonathanM If you don't use hardlinks, do you have your media copied from your downloads (which is on your cache drive) over to your media share (on your array). Then how do you go about deleting the original file from your cache? Is their a setting in somewhere for once the file is copied to your array the original gets deleted?

The 'arrs are configured to move the file instead of copying it.