Why are my shares asking for credentials all of a sudden?

Plex docker is still running, and shares are still accessible via Plex and browsing in Shares on Unraid.

When I try to connect to my shares from my Windows 10 computer, it is asking for my servers root password.

I've tried entering in the password, changing to server/root and entering the pw, server\root and pw, nothing works.

Everything worked fine last night, and nothing changed between yesterday and today.

I tried from another computer that connects to the share and the shares come right up, without even asking me for a login.

I ran the new permissions script in Tools but no luck.

Edited by Squirreljester
10 hours ago, Squid said:

root user has NO access to shares.  Ever.  You need to give it the user you've set up and it's credentials.

Windows has a "feature" where it remembers credentials and its terrible.  You may need to delete the cached credentials in Windows

Well that's odd, because this has been working for months now like this, and root is the only user I have in Users.

I had a couple entries in the Windows Credentials Manager for my server so I removed them.

Now I click into my share and it opens right up without asking me.

Do I have this set up incorrectly?

If the share is public, ANY user EXCEPT root is accepted. When windows tries to log in to the server with your windows login and password, it succeeds. For whatever reason when windows asked for a password and you typed in root as the user, the server locked you out because root is not allowed share access, and windows stubbornly keeps trying with the user named root until you removed the saved credentials.

2 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

If the share is public, ANY user EXCEPT root is accepted. When windows tries to log in to the server with your windows login and password, it succeeds. For whatever reason when windows asked for a password and you typed in root as the user, the server locked you out because root is not allowed share access, and windows stubbornly keeps trying with the user named root until you removed the saved credentials.

That makes sense. All my shares are public so there shouldn't be any credentials.