Sata drive not detected with SFF8087

Florian73

Hello,

I bought a rack-mountable case (unykach HSW4520, identical to the intertech 4u 4420). I have ordered two sff8087 reversed cords (https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B09BKMDK5Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share).

But after multiple tests no disc is detected. I have test on two motherboard. Strangely enough, when a 3.5 inch drive is plugged in it won't boot.  All 12v and 5v voltages are OK (even on a hard drive card).  But if I start by making contact between pin 11 and 10 or 12 of the hard drives (cf schema of sata pin) , the drives start up, but still are not recognized. The ssd also does not work.

I did a lot of testing without results but I don't know what to do now.

Hope you can help me.

Regards,

Florian

TbvSy.png

1 hour ago, Florian73 said:

3.5 inch drive is plugged in it won't boot

Many BIOS automatically adjust themselves and rearrange the boot order when new drives are added.  Disable int13h in your HBA's BIOS so that the drives attached to it will never show up in the boot order.

SSD's under ideal circumstances should always be connected to the onboard SATA connections.

10 hours ago, Squid said:

Many BIOS automatically adjust themselves and rearrange the boot order when new drives are added.  Disable int13h in your HBA's BIOS so that the drives attached to it will never show up in the boot order.

SSD's under ideal circumstances should always be connected to the onboard SATA connections.

Thanks, I will check the BIOS options. But when I say it doesn't boot, it doesn't even start to spin. 

28 minutes ago, Florian73 said:

OK

The bag of cables describes "reverse cable ...".  Normally it's good

I would suggest you buy another reverse cable and try.

Do you have another reverse cable ??

If haven't :

Seems you have electronic knowledge, you can plug the forward cable in SFF8087, check the SATA plug port 1 either data pin short to blackplane SATA_1  port which data pin, then do the same thing with reverse cable, if both pin also in short then the reverse cable would be problem. 

** edit  : due to capacitor in the path, you must test ahead the capacitor, I hope you understand what I mean and the test purpose **

image.png.3ab64732136035a334f3ed3708c68486.png

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Florian73 said:

Finally, with all my cables I get the same results (hope this is clear) (disregard the HDD, I just use it to have contact) :

Then the reverse cable actually is forward cable.

You will got different observation ( data signal pair cross ) with forward / reverse cable.

Edited by Vr2Io
1 hour ago, Vr2Io said:

Then the reverse cable actually is forward cable.

You will got different observation ( data signal pair cross ) with forward / reverse cable.

Yet it seemed correct to me. Transmission and reception reversed on one side and the other.

You assure me that is a forward cable that I have?

(because it is written "reverse" on the bag)

IMG_20211017_181902.jpg

If you compare the reverse cable with forward cable and haven't found signal data pair cross ( TX RX pair, ignore +- ), then cable must wrong.

It could be wrong product send to you even it lables reverse, in fact, you can't identify by the product outlook.

Do you have any HBA which use SFF8087 ? Then you can use it to test the cable.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you again vr2lo for your help !

I come back with a new cable received this morning. It works !

Last little question because you seem to know the subject really well. Which PCI card (minimum 2 x sff 8087) could you recommend to me? I understood that the Lsi brand cards were fine. What do you think about it ?

• 1 year later...