Some questions about cache and appdata

lutiana

Hello everyone,

I am adding a cache drive to my array, just a single 500Gb NVME WD Red drive, no redundancy as I simply need it to speed up copies and have the mover seto to run once every 8 hours. The data that will flow through it is not critical, and if it gets lost due to failure it's not a big deal.

That said, I am trying to understand why the app data is recommended to be on the cache drive? Fix common problems calls this out as a hard warning if it's set to not cache. I get that this would speed up docker performance, but in my situation that would essentially put all my app data at risk, since the cache drive is not redundant.

Am I missing something about the cache preferred setting? Does the mover also copy that to the spinning disks when it runs? If not, then why not? Or am I lacking an understanding of how the docker stuff works? Is the unique docker data not at risk with the cache drive failing?

Thanks for the help on this?

It is recommended to put appdata on the cache both for increased performance of Docker containers and also because it can mean that array drives can  then typically be spun down a lot of the time,.  Many people then use the CA Backup plugin to do periodic backups of this share to the Main array,

3 hours ago, lutiana said:

have the mover seto to run once every 8 hours.

Mover is really designed for idle hours so running it overnight is more typical.