I have tried for months now seeking help :(

jemmles

Hi ,

I must start by stating the fact Im new to unraid and will certainly mix up some of my terms in my plea for help.

Basically I have set up the build and file server side of things ok, i think. But I am having no luck setting up virtual machines, and to be fair that is my reason for going with unraid. I have had the server up an running for a few months and i wanted to work it out myself but have had no joy, in fact Im questioning my decision now as i have made no quantifiable progress in my understanding of this all works.

All going well , i am trying to set up a windows based workstation which can be accessed remotely and be used  This end use for will be for my own content creation and having access on the road. I plan to get pay for the proprietary vmware type software that allows that.

But im stuck at first hurdle. I can not get past the screen which  is ths one, when i hit any key it just endless loops. IT is a nightmare.

Its windows 10 I am tyring to get working. But i havent even managed to get any vm up an running.

I have literally tried all the things suggested by others and things that have helped them out.

I am starting to wonder if its motherboard, hardware or something else as i am totally stummped.

I will be post my infos in the hope someone might be kind enough to assist.

Many thanks

Jems

aaa.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20211017-1941.zip

Hi!

I looked at your xml and apart the boot order lines everything seems ok.

Not sure about the ram, you specified 2 GB, which is the minimum requirement for windows 10, if you can you should increase that value a bit..Also for the cpu, I would try to assign 2 cores if it's possible..Note that ram/cpu changes may not be needed it's just a thing to try.

Once in the uefi shell (the screenshot you attached) type "exit", the system should reboot and the "press any key to boot from cd" should appear.

What happens if you press a key? From your description it reverts back to the uefi shell?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, sheldz8 said:

2) wrong bios option selected. (Try SeaBIOS) and maybe change all drives to use SATA

2. the installation iso is uefi capable (FS0 is there), so no need to change to seabios, the windows installer and the virtio iso are already attached to the virtual sata controller, no need to change the controller to which the vdisk1 is attached.

Issue is somewhere else.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks so much for your replies. I will download another windows iso , (3 rd attempt) , and try these also, RAM test,  have another look at the motherboard bios to ensure those settings are correct.  

This was a purpose built machine so never has been configured before for another use. So cant 100% say if the componentry is all ok. This was about the 7th custom pc i have built over the years, Im kinda a noob as the tech has moved on from the single core days, lolz.

When i purchased the motherboard the legend in the shop flashed the bios so it could run the Ryzen 5600X CPU. So could that be a factor that the motherboard isnt up to it.  I have also come across articles suggesting issues with the AMD ryzen CPU's not sure if thats still relevant?

12 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Hi!

I looked at your xml and apart the boot order lines everything seems ok.

Not sure about the ram, you specified 2 GB, which is the minimum requirement for windows 10, if you can you should increase that value a bit..Also for the cpu, I would try to assign 2 cores if it's possible..Note that ram/cpu changes may not be needed it's just a thing to try.

Once in the uefi shell (the screenshot you attached) type "exit", the system should reboot and the "press any key to boot from cd" should appear.

What happens if you press a key? From your description it reverts back to the uefi shell?

Yes that is definitely correct. That dreaded uefi shell screen.

I must have accidently only assigned 2 G ram. Intend to 16G and 8 cores as itll be a workstation VM.

Have tried different configurations based on web vids and space invaders recommends,. I note that some of these heavily reference vids are from a few years ago. So hopefully not too much out of date infos on them.

When i hit a key it just loops this screen then to the command line prompt any key ....

image.thumb.png.7c1cd8c76ba030a4c0649eb1578ad648.png

When i type exit it takes me to.

image.thumb.png.a37aebfc15b60e22658ebc20545febdd.png

Thanks

Jems

16 hours ago, jemmles said:

But im stuck at first hurdle. I can not get past the screen which  is ths one, when i hit any key it just endless loops. IT is a nightmare.

Every time I have installed a Windows VM, if the Shell> prompt appears I just type 'exit' at the prompt and installation continues normally.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jemmles said:

I have just wasted another day trying to fix this issue with no result. 

I am so disappointed ....

If anyone would be kind enough to help that would be awesome . Im at a total loss. Ive posted my diagnostic file again not sure if this is from attempt 120 or 210 . So depressed.

tower-diagnostics-20211018-1718.zip 90.86 kB · 1 download

Just try using SeaBIOS because the other day I had it on OVMF and it kept running in a loop like what is happening to you and after changing that option I managed to boot into Windows Setup for Windows 11. Typing 'exit' did nothing for me also.

If that also doesn't work then it could be your CPU

I tested your config on my i7 8700k and the vm loaded to Windows Setup.

I have seen quite a few posts here on the forum, reddit and linustechtips where people are having issues with Ryzen 5000 series on UnRAID

I keep seeing these errors with your VM's in the logs

2021-10-18 06:39:00.442+0000: 21844: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:6075 : Domain id=1 name='Terminal One' uuid=870b08cd-bed8-e8d9-fd8d-0747c71c7acd is tainted: high-privileges
2021-10-18 06:39:00.442+0000: 21844: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:6075 : Domain id=1 name='Terminal One' uuid=870b08cd-bed8-e8d9-fd8d-0747c71c7acd is tainted: host-cpu
2021-10-18 06:40:08.869+0000: 21842: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:6075 : Domain id=2 name='Terminal One' uuid=870b08cd-bed8-e8d9-fd8d-0747c71c7acd is tainted: high-privileges
2021-10-18 06:40:08.869+0000: 21842: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:6075 : Domain id=2 name='Terminal One' uuid=870b08cd-bed8-e8d9-fd8d-0747c71c7acd is tainted: host-cpu
2021-10-18 06:43:04.915+0000: 21844: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:6075 : Domain id=3 name='Windows 10' uuid=26c75bbb-8f3d-f50f-55b6-e3ebd79e2c2f is tainted: high-privileges
2021-10-18 06:43:04.915+0000: 21844: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:6075 : Domain id=3 name='Windows 10' uuid=26c75bbb-8f3d-f50f-55b6-e3ebd79e2c2f is tainted: host-cpu
2021-10-18 06:47:29.539+0000: 21843: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:6075 : Domain id=4 name='Windows 10' uuid=5e95f5ec-f371-fe9a-7fb9-fdc7bdf485d4 is tainted: high-privileges
2021-10-18 06:47:29.539+0000: 21843: warning : qemuDomainObjTaint:6075 : Domain id=4 name='Windows 10' uuid=5e95f5ec-f371-fe9a-7fb9-fdc7bdf485d4 is tainted: host-cpu

If I am correct then it looks like the Host CPU isn't correctly passing through to the VM's.

Edited by sheldz8

Hi sheldz8,

The same thing jumped out at me and i searched for one of those 'tainted' lines to see if that might find something.

I didnt realise that unraid was so volatile with the VM's , considering VM's was the reason i went with unraid im wondering whether ive made an error.

18 hours ago, ghost82 said:

That is nothing to worry about.

These are not errors but warnings, tainted arguments means you run the vm with custom arguments.

Can you try to remove:

isolcpus=2-5,8-11

from syslinux?

Hi mate,

Thanks I can ignore the tainted lines then. Good to rule that out.

I have already tried removing the isolate CPU's as i went back to try the only one CPU and realised that would contradict the isolate settings. But no joy there either.

I am going to attempt to get a linux vm up and running Ive downloaded a cinamon iso , might try that. 

Im thinking as much as I dont want to. I might do a comlete reinstall to the server. Ive only put <100G of stuff on there so not the worst thing.

Any other ideas? Anyone? lolz

EDIT - The CPU is Ryzen 5600x doesnt have  on board graphics so I actually now think that may be this is the issue. I have a 2GB Gforce card. 

If im running (viewing the press the any key) through VNC and haven't assigned a GPU could this be the issue?

Edited by jemmles

I've installed windows 10 on a second nvme drive and figured ill get that running in the first instance.  So that all now works fine , so I have some comfort the hardware works.

Now I am attempting to go the dual boot road  as per SP1's video and connect remotely.  I have set the VM up again in unraid , swapping out the UUID. Set up all the passthroughs.

But I can still not access the VM. Ive tried almost everything and basically at the stage were I dont know how to proceed and am really struggling. 

tower-diagnostics-20211023-1316.zip

fwiw i have included another diagnostics file. May be someone could help. 

tower-diagnostics-20211023-1316.zip

Really bummed to read all that so I’ll try to set you on a troubleshooting mindset, you seem to be able to find a lot of hows and not a lot of what’s so I’ll try to toss some and hopefully help.

my background: also new to unraid , have 0 understanding in diagnostic files, have 5 unraid production servers, some of them have ALOT of VMs, all configured ground up by me, and while I did had some issues never have they been totally blocking me from progressing at least a little bit each troubleshooting session.

so how would I approach your issue.

start with iso, check that it’s indeed bootable, be that legacy or uefi, check that with straight up barebones installation on your hardware.

for legacy I always use sea bios with q3.5

for uefi ovmf with either 3.5 or the second option.

and in my experience that’s where the most issues are.

I usually don’t even touch Cpu pinning until after the installation, but I do change the ram straight up. Also I don’t isolate cores untill I get all the stuff I need installed and checked.

as for hardware, Memtest is something I always run on a new system before anything, some Cpu stress tests via winpe as well.

so assuming ur hardware is ok, and no progress from there , I’d get an .img file of windows that u know is working and try to boot it.

that might be sad combination of Cpu and mobo and kvm features too , since I didn’t use 5k ryzen myself.

ive 1 3600

and others are intel, 4th, 8th,10th and 11th gen cpus

Hi excage,

Thanks for your reply. Ive had to take some time away from this project as it was taking the enjoyment out of it. 

I wonder whether its an issue that the SSD which has the windows install separate from the array, and the SSD which is the unraid cache both have the same 8 digit ID.  I think i have munted my usb key with the unraid install on it. I think i did something wrong when i copied the back up on to it. I had done that process previously successfully. But now my machine is not discoverable.

Once I can resolve that issue, I think i will seek paid assistance to get past this VM issue. 

• 2 months later...

So its a new year and still little joy on this project.

I sorted out / fixed my unraid usb key. I have installed Win on a separate NVME drive and thats up and running. I still cannot get this to run as a vm from within unraid.

I have now updated my motherboard bios as a log suggested it was broken. After updating that the virtualisation was set to disabled so i switched that back to enabled.

I have tried for soooooo long to get windows VM running. With no luck. What have i done wrong or what broken equipment is it.

HEEEEEEEELLLLPP. 

Ill now post my diagnostics - may be some one might help. OR not.

So turns out Ive been locked out again. I am unable to post my diagnostics cause the unraid server is not discoverable.

I had backed up my USB with unraid on it . So reset that usb to the back up version. This is a .............. nightmare. 

Ive just spent the last few hours to fix that. And its not fixed so so so so much wasted time. 

• 1 year later...

Bringing the thread back to life. Had taken a hiatus as this really upset me the lack of resolution i could get with the problems i was having trying to get a vm with GPU pass through to work.

I have updated to the latest release 12 and miracullously it finally works.  I think i may have just had a crap moboard on that server

Edited by jemmles