(SOLVED - VM Issue) PARITY CHECK AFTER EVERY REBOOT - VERSION: 6.9.2

Everytime I reboot or shutdown my system a parity check starts when it powers back up. I am aware from reading other topics that this usually means an unclean shutdown but there is no errors appearing in the syslog during the shutdown process.

I have read a very similar topic here: 

I based on that topic, have tried replacing my flash-drive to a new one and have tried chaging the shutdown timeout as per this comment in above thread:

"Timeout appears to be kicking sooner than it should, go to Settings - Disk Settings and change the shutdown timeout to a different value just to re-apply, set it to like 60 secs."  

image.thumb.png.8ceb3d4d9056ff7e084b942616547aac.png

But still I get a parity check starting after reboot.

Diags Attached, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks to all.

tower-diagnostics-20211018-1428.zip

Edited by Capt.Insano

I timed how long it took to stop the array from the Main tab:

1 minute & 9 Seconds.

Could it be that 90 secs is not long enough in my setup for all my VMs (x3) and Docker Containers (x30+) to shutdown fully if something like a windows update kicks in?

I am going to up the timeout to 180 secs and see if a parity check starts on reboot.

This seems to have fixed it.

Increasing the timeout to a high vaue (180 secs in my case) has ensured enough time for safe shutdown even in the event of a Windows update during VM shutdown.

Thanks @Frank1940.

Update: See below, problem returned after array runnning for any length of time.

Edited by Capt.Insano
  • Capt.Insano changed the title to (Solved) PARITY CHECK AFTER EVERY REBOOT - VERSION: 6.9.2
3 minutes ago, Capt.Insano said:

This seems to have fixed it.

Increasing the timeout to a high vaue (180 secs in my case) has ensured enough time for safe shutdown even in the event of a Windows update during VM shutdown.

Thanks @Frank1940.

The real solution though is in VM Settings you change it to hibernate the VM's instead of Shutting Down and install the Virtio Guest Tools (on the Virtio ISO disk you used to set up the ethernet ports etc in Windows)

Million reasons why Windows can take quite a while to shut down (or just plain refuses to) and hibernating the VM instead of attempting to shut it down solves that problem easily.

• Capt.Insano changed the title to PARITY CHECK AFTER EVERY REBOOT - VERSION: 6.9.2

Hi @JorgeB,

Diags were attached to the post above yours, these were the diags from the latest unclean shutdown (this morning) that caused the parity check again.

I will try and stop the array manually again and time it when I get home but as per one of my prev posts above;

the last time it took 1 min 9 secs to stop and the disk timeout in my settings is now 180 secs

Edited by Capt.Insano
18 minutes ago, Squid said:

@JorgeB might know, but I seem to recall that there was an issue at some point with the VM system not always honoring the shutdown timer (but it seems to work fine for me)

(And you did also install the guest tools in the VM?)

I did, infact they were already installed but I also updated them and all drivers to latest stable: virtio-win-0.1.208

12 hours ago, Squid said:

but I seem to recall that there was an issue at some point with the VM system not always honoring the shutdown timer

That turned out to be a false issue, at least so far, and it's not the problem here:

Oct 19 09:50:38 Tower shutdown[16774]: shutting down for system reboot
Oct 19 09:51:45 Tower root: Waiting on VMs to hibernate............................................................
Oct 19 09:51:45 Tower root: Domain 86349a06-14bd-3361-c257-9064d80fe376 is being shutdown
Oct 19 09:51:45 Tower root:
Oct 19 09:51:45 Tower root: Domain 37dc3718-c315-0f42-39de-4a1ab8e25771 is being shutdown
Oct 19 09:51:45 Tower root:

VM timeout is set to 60 secs, and it wasn't enough, and looks like they didn't force shutdown either since libvirt was still in use after this.

• Capt.Insano changed the title to (LIBVIRT) PARITY CHECK AFTER EVERY REBOOT - VERSION: 6.9.2
53 minutes ago, Capt.Insano said:

I updated VM shutdown time-out to 180

You need to increase the general timeout, they can't be the same or the second one will kick in, still it looks like 180 wasn't enough for the VMs to shutdown, do they shutdown if you stop the array? If yes post new diags after doing that.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

shutdown the VMs manually before rebooting/stopping the array, that's what I do.

To extend that a little, you should definitely install either apcupsd or nut software, whichever you have managing the host Unraid, on each VM, and set it to shut down the VM pretty much immediately when power goes out, that way the VM's are already down and Unraid can shut itself down without hanging. Both nut and apcupsd can be easily configured to watch a host instance and react.

17 hours ago, JonathanM said:

To extend that a little, you should definitely install either apcupsd or nut software, whichever you have managing the host Unraid, on each VM, and set it to shut down the VM pretty much immediately when power goes out, that way the VM's are already down and Unraid can shut itself down without hanging. Both nut and apcupsd can be easily configured to watch a host instance and react.

Thanks for this advice, I will defo do this.

@JorgeB & @Squid

I think I have found the issue that is causing the excessive shutdown times at the moment (and possibly the unclean shutdowns):

libvirt is not hibernating my linux VMs.

My Windows 10 VM will hibernate no problem either during array stop, unraid shutdown or by manually triggering a hibernation here:

image.png.d453c51f3c773172a9f57ce838daa461.png

But if I try the same with either my PiHole VM (ubuntu based) or HomeAssistant OS VM(Hassio) nothing happens:

image.png.8e3ff9369052506c639ec239e95ca85f.png

This screenshot was after clicking the "Hibernate" button, nothing happens and the VM does not hibernate (same with HassOS VM)

I think they are just sitting there (ignoring the hibernation command) causing the libvirt timeout to be reached and then being force-closed.

Should linux VMs be able to hibernate from libvirt?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Capt.Insano changed the title to (SOLVED - VM Issue) PARITY CHECK AFTER EVERY REBOOT - VERSION: 6.9.2