Add custom vendor package to control UPS

autumnwalker

On 10/24/2021 at 8:57 AM, Ford Prefect said:

...you can try to create a Docker and pass through / mountain the USB inside.

Not exactly what I'm going for. I want Unraid itself to be able to talk to the UPS via this software with a plugin (or something). Like someone else has done for NUT.

End goal is I want to be able to cleanly shutdown Unraid via the software / UPS in the event of a power outage.

Software is Vertiv Power Assist. Freely available here: https://www.vertiv.com/en-us/support/software-download/software/vertiv-power-assist-software-download/

Edited by autumnwalker
10 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Understood. Hadn't considered that. Slackware is nothing like Ubuntu or RedHat, is it? As in - the chance of "it might work" is low?

It probably won't work as presented. There is a good possibility it could be forced to work properly, but the amount of manual manipulations is unknown until you try. If you are more familiar with a windows environment the closest analogy I can offer is trying to get a windows 95 program to work on windows 10. Small chance it works out of the box, likely can be forced by manually copying things where they should go, still possible it will never work properly.

The linux environment is a little better, especially if they offer low level files that could be compiled for slackware, but not all companies do that. Many just put together a precompiled binary package that they know works with a specific version.

If you want to start an internet argument, slack vs ubuntu / debian is a pretty good firestarter. They each have strengths and weaknesses, so it's easy to argue passionately for either one.

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

If you want to start an internet argument, slack vs ubuntu / debian is a pretty good firestarter. They each have strengths and weaknesses, so it's easy to argue passionately for either one.

Lol not my intent here!

Is there some other way I could get a VM or something to trigger Unraid to shutdown based on it being shutdown by this client? Like a bash script?

I know enough about some of this stuff to think it could be done, but not familiar enough with how to do it.

23 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Is there some other way I could get a VM or something to trigger Unraid to shutdown based on it being shutdown by this client? Like a bash script?

I know enough about some of this stuff to think it could be done, but not familiar enough with how to do it.

I can't help with details, but broad strokes, yeah, you could theoretically check for a VM to be running with virsh commands and if it's shut down you could then script unraid to shutdown. The tricky bit is figuring out how you want to handle troubleshooting scenarios where you DON'T want unraid to shutdown if the VM isn't running for some other reason.