[Support] Goobaroo - Modded Minecraft Java Servers

On 6/18/2022 at 2:34 PM, mfreeman451 said:

I'm also having permissions issues after the latest Unraid upgrade of 6.10.3 and latest docker image, the container is unable to start.

Same solution, check the settings for the server and make sure that the path assigned to `/data` is set to 777 permissions.  That should allow the container to write to that space.

Love that Container (FTB DireWolf20 Pack), saved my World Save! 

Is it maybe somehow possibilty to get an WebUI to get Access to the Minecraft Console to do some basic Tasks like start an World Backup without the need of an Minecraft Client?

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else having issues with Stoneblock 2 not loading. Getting the below error in the logs. 

Error: Unable to access jarfile forge-1.12.2-14.23.5.2847-universal.jar

Edit: Fixed it. Had to update the start.sh file and put the correct jar file name in there.

Edit 2: Well that got it to at least begin loading, but it gets stuck on being behind by ~4000ms, then refuses to continue loading the server. Trying to roll back now. 

Edited by DarthLlama

Looking for help, preferably a guide to setup this type of server.

I Installed the Docker for SevTechAges but when I go to \appdata\sevtechages, its just an empty folder. When I start the docker it also shows errors on the log, am I supposed to have something else installed first or other steps.

I see people mentioning about permissions being set to 777 but what and where is that?

thanks

@DarthLlama  The start.sh is generated by the forge install that is run as part of the container. If it is running behind by 4000ms it seems like it may be starved for resources.  The Stone Block 2 container requires 6GB of memory.  I will take a look at the install again tonight and see if I can find any issues in the install script.

@RedRobo The permissions need to be set on that directory under appdata.  777 means that owner, group and all users will have read, write and execute on that directory.  You need execute on a directory in linux in order to change to that directory, otherwise you will not be able to.

Opening a terminal and running 

chmod 777 /mnt/user/appdata/sevtechages

will set the permission on that directory.  There is nothing extra to be installed, the container downloads and installs the appropriate files for that modpack on startup.  Provided it can actually write to the required directory :) 

Edited by Goobaroo
On 7/5/2022 at 1:20 PM, Goobaroo said:

@DarthLlama  The start.sh is generated by the forge install that is run as part of the container. If it is running behind by 4000ms it seems like it may be starved for resources.  The Stone Block 2 container requires 6GB of memory.  I will take a look at the install again tonight and see if I can find any issues in the install script.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

It seems like 6GB wasn't enough. I have 128 (running a dual xeon server with CPUs clocked a 2.3GHz and 128GB of DDR4 ECC ram). I changed the default memory settings for the docker to 8GB minimum and maximum, and it fixed the issue with the running behind error. 

Now running into a new error however. Now every time the server starts it is modifying my server.properties file and changing the Port I have allocated (I'm running 4 different minecraft dockers, so I allocated a non-standard port for this in the docker settings, and the server.properties file).  Where is the script that is changing the server port and changing the server. properties file? I've been poking around and can't find it. Also since I deleted the start.sh file, uninstalled the docker, and reinstalled it, the start.sh file is still gone, and this is happening. Sorry for all the issues!

+ sed -i 's/server-port.*/server-port=25565/g' server.properties

4 hours ago, GonjaT said:

Hi. It appears that "All the Mods 7" is now 2 updates behind and the container hasn't pulled the new updates yet since they released.  Not sure why but just wanting to let you know.

Thanks.

@GonjaTThat is because they release pretty much daily, and there was a nation wide internet outage that prevented me from doing anything.  But it should be caught up now.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:58 PM, DarthLlama said:

Now running into a new error however. Now every time the server starts it is modifying my server.properties file and changing the Port I have allocated (I'm running 4 different minecraft dockers, so I allocated a non-standard port for this in the docker settings, and the server.properties file).  Where is the script that is changing the server port and changing the server. properties file? I've been poking around and can't find it. Also since I deleted the start.sh file, uninstalled the docker, and reinstalled it, the start.sh file is still gone, and this is happening. Sorry for all the issues!

+ sed -i 's/server-port.*/server-port=25565/g' server.properties

@DarthLlama You should be setting the PORT in the config for the application under Unraid.  The port that the server runs on inside the container is static at 25565.

When docker containers start up, they map the port defined in the config from docker to the containers internal port.  That is configurable in the docker container settings.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:48 PM, Goobaroo said:

@DarthLlama You should be setting the PORT in the config for the application under Unraid.  The port that the server runs on inside the container is static at 25565.

When docker containers start up, they map the port defined in the config from docker to the containers internal port.  That is configurable in the docker container settings.

Thank you for the reply! I do know that the port I need to configure is in the docker container, and I have configured it.  I did when I first set the server up and have been able to connect perfectly until I updated the docker when it said it had an update, and since then I can't connect. I have made sure my client is running the same version, and I'm connecting to the correct LAN IP and Port. Just can't find the issue. It didn't happen until the update, so that's what is throwing me. 

Not sure what to do, so in the meantime my friend and I have quit stoneblock 2 and moved to oceanblock, since I can't get the server to work right anymore. 

4 hours ago, Goobaroo said:

@DarthLlama change the network from host to bridge and the port setting will apply.  Or use the br0 network and assign your Minecraft server another IP entirely.

I ran into that when I first set it up, and then changed it to bridge.  When I deleted it and reinstalled it I made sure it was set to bridge. I'll play around with it and see if I can pinpoint the issue, I just assumed it changing the server.properties port to 25565 was the issue, as it didn't do that before the update. 

On 7/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, Goobaroo said:

@GonjaTThat is because they release pretty much daily, and there was a nation wide internet outage that prevented me from doing anything.  But it should be caught up now.

Oh sorry if I came across as rude.. I was under the impression it auto searches for updates itself. I didn't think you manually did the updates. My apologies. Thank you and have a great day Goobaroo!

On 7/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, HouseTyrell said:

@GoobarooSuper excited I found this! Is there anyway to specify the version to install? I'm playing Direwolf20 1.18 and would like to update to the 1.7.0 beta version.

Should be there now as the latest version.  If you ever want to pin to a particular version of a mod pack, you can check the versions available on at https://hub.docker.com/u/goobaroo

1 hour ago, GonjaT said:

Oh sorry if I came across as rude.. I was under the impression it auto searches for updates itself. I didn't think you manually did the updates. My apologies. Thank you and have a great day Goobaroo!

No worries.  Usually those minor mod pack updates are not as critical, but I strive to keep them as up to date as possible.

• Like 1

@GoobarooFirst, I want to say thank you for making dockers for these mod packs and keeping them updated! It makes life so much easier for us, and it is greatly appreciated!  

For the Port issue on Stoneblock 2, I tested changing it to 25565 in the docker, and then connecting using that port, and it works.  I tried changing it back to my custom port, and it failed to connect again.  I wanted to see if any other Minecraft Dockers you made were doing this, and so I tested Oceanblock. I set it up on a custom port and it keeps the port (doesn't change it back to the default 25565).

I attached screenshots of the beginning of the logs that shows that oceanblock isn't changing/reassigning the port, and one showing where Stoneblock 2 is.  I have poked around in the files for a couple of hours and can't find what would be causing it to happen.

It probably only affects me (and maybe a small handful of other folks) as most people aren't running 4-5 Minecraft servers on the same system at a time. For the time being I am going to swap to using the default 25565 port for Stoneblock 2, just wanted to you know that something is changing it on boot every time. And I'm not smart enough to figure it out lol.

Thanks again for all you do for us and making things easier!!!

OceanBlock.jpg

Stoneblock 2.jpg

The solution is to change the network to bridge instead of host and set the Port value in the config.  Bridge network is the default for  docker.  I had inadvertently changed the default networking to host when it should have been bridge in the unraid template for the containers.  

When the network is set to host it will use the IP of the Unraid server and try to attach the port and that is where you get collisions and can be blocked.

When the network is set to bridge, docker will port forward from the internal docker network from 25565 inside the docker container to the Port defined in the config also to the IP of the Unraid server.  This is the correct method for running a docker instance on another port.

stoneblock2_config.png

27 minutes ago, Goobaroo said:

The solution is to change the network to bridge instead of host and set the Port value in the config.  Bridge network is the default for  docker.  I had inadvertently changed the default networking to host when it should have been bridge in the unraid template for the containers.  

When the network is set to host it will use the IP of the Unraid server and try to attach the port and that is where you get collisions and can be blocked.

When the network is set to bridge, docker will port forward from the internal docker network from 25565 inside the docker container to the Port defined in the config also to the IP of the Unraid server.  This is the correct method for running a docker instance on another port.

stoneblock2_config.png

I totally understand. Whenever I uninstalled and reinstalled the docker after the update, I made sure to set it to Bridge and assigned my custom port.  But for some reason, it is still changing the port (not in the docker settings, but when booting up in the logs) to the default. I have tested this by trying to connect to it from the client on my configured port (which fails) and then trying the default port (which works). 

At this point I'm convinced something weird is going on with just my install, so I'm just going to run it on the default port, since it works there. I'm mainly documenting in case someone else runs into to it too, so maybe a solution can be found.  Again, it worked perfectly, until the last update. AND works perfectly, if I use the default port on the client. No biggie, just an FYI.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk, lol. 

Stoneblock 2 Port.jpg

@DarthLlama This may help with your TED talk. It is a good overview how networking works in docker.

https://earthly.dev/blog/docker-networking/#:~:text=Docker handles communication between containers,the only option you have.

For what it's worth.  I use the br0 network to allow my Minecraft containers to get their own IP from my main network, and address them all by IP rather than port.

Edited by Goobaroo
  • Goobaroo changed the title to [Support] Goobaroo - Modded Minecraft Server Containers
  • Goobaroo changed the title to [Support] Goobaroo - Modded Minecraft Java Servers