Guide to set up an everyday unraid PC

wchusky

I am new to unraid so I apologize in advance if this is a question that been asked many times.  I am familiar with TrueNAS etc.

I have built an unraid PC with graphic card GPU along with multiple drives.  I can bring up the unraid server no issue via Web interface on a different computer.  I have installed WIndows 10 as a VM.  However, I can't seem to get the PC to boot into Windows 10 on the monitor that's hooked up to the server.

What I want to do is use the same PC with multiple monitors hooked up as a daily PC.  I would like to boot Windows 10 or Linux off the same PC with some kind of menu selection at boot.  I would also like to hook up a keyboard and a mouse so I can use it like a normal PC while also able to switch between different VMs on the same PC.

Is there a guide to do this?  I have looked everywhere, and there does not appear to be a good guide.  Would really appreciate any help on this. 

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, wchusky said:

I have built an unraid PC with graphic card GPU along with multiple drives.  I can bring up the unraid server no issue via Web interface on a different computer.  I have installed WIndows 10 as a VM.  However, I can't seem to get the PC to boot into Windows 10 on the monitor that's hooked up to the server.

Hi, have you tried all the ports on your graphics card?, i had issues passing my graphics card too, an GTX 970, and what i did was download the vBios corresponding to my exact model, stored in unraid and add it to the VM config, make sure to wait a few minutes when you start the VM mine takes about 2 to 3 mins to show up on my screens.

14 minutes ago, wchusky said:

What I want to do is use the same PC with multiple monitors hooked up as a daily PC.  I would like to boot Windows 10 or Linux off the same PC with some kind of menu selection at boot.  I would also like to hook up a keyboard and a mouse so I can use it like a normal PC while also able to switch between different VMs on the same PC.

To me sounds like you can create a VM that contains dual boot for Win and Linux this way when you start the VM GRUB will show up and select which OS you want to start, another option is create two VMs in Unraid one for each OS then according to your needs passthrough your graphics card to one of the OS and configure the second VM to use VNC, this way when you are working on the VM with the graphics card if you need the other VM you just have to open Unraid webui and start the VNC VM.

PD: if you take option one you can also have and access Unraid's VMs configured with VNC