Pressing the "Compute..." link, in the size column of the Shares page caused a crash.

RAP2

Quite unfortunate, since I was in the middle of coping 8 TB's of data in a migration. 

I have no experience with an UNRAID (apparent) crash.   My EDGE web browser shows:  "Hmmm… can't reach this page"  But is that the UNRAID web server - or UNRAID itself?  A power cycle could cause more problems if UNRAID is still copying files; and it should be for the next 6-8 hours, based on my last estimates.  

I also went to the machine itself and the screen is blank - normally it has a bunch of Linux stuff and the login at the bottom.

Some advise would be appreciated it.  

IMHO, Looking at the cat should not kill it...

Edited by RAP2
typo

Well I decided to wait it out - in case the copies were still being made in the background.  Glad I did.  Two hours later, I checked on the machine and I was able to remotely connect via the WebGUI.  The copy was not done but over night it completed.

I guess I won't be pressing the "compute" link again...

Someone should look into what's going on with that; it should not take the system off line for any amount of time; IMHO. 

Either @RAP2 (or someone else) asked about how to find the storage area used on each hard disk and the suggestion that came back said to 'click' on the "Compute" in the Share tab. 

So being adventurous (and curious), I did so on a couple of shares.  The first one was the 'Media' share on the Test Bed server.  That share is very small probably has not more than thirty or forty files in it.  It calculate within a second after the disks got spun up.  Thinking, "Gee, that was fun", I decided to try the Backup share.  Now, that Share contains (among other things),  Sixty plus months of client-computers back up with some 9000 files in each backup!  It did appear to lock up my GUI--- I finally just walked away and let it run.  A couple of hours later, I came back and it had finished and showed the GB used for the share and the GB used on each on the data drives. 

What I suspect is happening is that this process is not running in the background as far as the GUI is concerned.  I can easily see where it would seem to work perfectly in the development environment and bog down  the whole server when used in the real world on a working server.  (I know that I am never going to click on it again!!!  😉 😈  )

Edited by Frank1940