Nic Card Help Please

Badboy

Hi Everybody,

I have 2 Nic cards https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-XG-C100C-Network-Adapter-Single/dp/B072N84DG6/ref=sr_1_18?crid=3RYBA6156BDVU&dchild=1&keywords=10+gigabit+network+card&qid=1635018921&sprefix=10+gig%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-18

The first one connects the unraid server to my 10 gig port on the ISP box.  The second card i want to create a 10 gig connect between the unraid server and my desktop. How would I do that?  Tried a couple different ways and couldn't get it to work.

This is how the first card is working

Interface eth0
Interface description:
MAC address: A8:5E:45:57:Ex.x.x
Enable bonding: Yes
Bonding mode: Active Backup (1) Just noticed this setting (Don't think I should have it on that) ??
Bonding members of bond0:  eth0, eth2  (Eh2 is the card that goes from server to ISP Box)
Enable bridging: Yes
Network protocol: IPv4 only
IPv4 address assignment: Static
IPv4 address: 192.168.2.x.x/24
IPv4 default gateway: 192.168.2.1   optional metric (lowest is preferred, 0 is no default gateway)
IPv4 DNS server assignment: Static
IPv4 DNS server: 192.168.x.x
IPv4 DNS server 2:  207.164.234.xxx
Desired MTU: 1500
Enable VLANs: No

Eh1 is the other card. How do I set that one to connect Sever to desktop?

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, Badboy said:

The first one connects the unraid server to my 10 gig port on the ISP box.  The second card i want to create a 10 gig connect between the unraid server and my desktop.

This is how the first card is working

Interface eth0
Interface description:
MAC address: A8:5E:45:57:Ex.x.x
Enable bonding: Yes
Bonding mode: Active Backup (1) Just noticed this setting (Don't think I should have it on that) ??
Bonding members of bond0:  eth0, eth2  (Eh2 is the card that goes from server to ISP Box)

So, is eth2 the 10G NIC going to your ISP box? Then, where does eth0 go to (assuming this is the onboard NIC of your unraid Motherboard and 1G).

If so, this one will be a failover path, should eth2 go down....that is what the bond and its current mode is for.

29 minutes ago, Badboy said:

How would I do that?  Tried a couple different ways and couldn't get it to work.

[...]

Eh1 is the other card. How do I set that one to connect Sever to desktop?

So, what did you try that failed?

Is your desktop connected with a 1G NIC, too...possibly to access the Internet via your ISP?

2 hours ago, Ford Prefect said:

So, is eth2 the 10G NIC going to your ISP box? Then, where does eth0 go to (assuming this is the onboard NIC of your unraid Motherboard and 1G).

If so, this one will be a failover path, should eth2 go down....that is what the bond and its current mode is for.

So, what did you try that failed?

Is your desktop connected with a 1G NIC, too...possibly to access the Internet via your ISP?

Both are the Asus cards 10 gig network cards, plugged into my bottom pcie slots on the board on the unraid server. Not using onboard eithernet port. I tried bonding eth0 eth1 and eth2.  1 and 2 are the Asus cards.  On the bottom for the order of the connections I put etho, then both Atlantic (Asus cards)  I have the same Asus card plugged into my desktop board.  I have been leaving the 1 gig Ethernet plugged in on the desktop so I can keep connected to the server Web Gui. Once I get it working not sure if I need the 1g connection.  $orry for missing info. If you need more please let me know.  Thank you appreciate it. 

7 hours ago, Badboy said:

I tried bonding eth0 eth1 and eth2.  1 and 2 are the Asus cards.  On the bottom for the order of the connections I put etho, then both Atlantic (Asus cards) 

OK, that*s the important info, as we talk about changing things, the enumeration is important so we are in sync here.

Do you also have as separate Switch or is the ISP-Box you are referring to also equipped with several LAN ports?

Where is the 1G connection of your desktop plugged into?

Does the ISP-Box or seperate Switch also have a second 10G port available?

The "problem" is, that you will be running both 10G cards of unraid in the same IP-network. Your Desktop, with both 1G & 10G plugged in will acquire two IP-Addresses and you need to tell it how to decide which one the two to use when connecting unRaid.

7 hours ago, Badboy said:

I have the same Asus card plugged into my desktop board.  I have been leaving the 1 gig Ethernet plugged in on the desktop so I can keep connected to the server Web Gui. Once I get it working not sure if I need the 1g connection.  $orry for missing info. If you need more please let me know.  Thank you appreciate it. 

Please try the following:

• in unraid, disable bonding and add all three NICs (eth0, eth1 and eth2) to the bridge as member
    Maybe it will be necessary to do this in two steps. So, in order to be able to re-connect to unraid after the first step (disable bond) also plug in eth0 into your ISP-Box first.
    Then perform these steps (disable bond, enable bridge with all three NICs).
  • maybe you need to restart unraid box, unplug eth0 of unraid (when unraid reboot is required unplug it while unraid is still booting) and also unplug 1G from your desktop (you can plug in again later, if things go wrong

...your dektop now should be able to access unraid and internet via the 10G connection.

10 hours ago, Ford Prefect said:

OK, that*s the important info, as we talk about changing things, the enumeration is important so we are in sync here.

Do you also have as separate Switch or is the ISP-Box you are referring to also equipped with several LAN ports?

Where is the 1G connection of your desktop plugged into?

Does the ISP-Box or seperate Switch also have a second 10G port available?

The "problem" is, that you will be running both 10G cards of unraid in the same IP-network. Your Desktop, with both 1G & 10G plugged in will acquire two IP-Addresses and you need to tell it how to decide which one the two to use when connecting unRaid.

Please try the following:

• in unraid, disable bonding and add all three NICs (eth0, eth1 and eth2) to the bridge as member
    Maybe it will be necessary to do this in two steps. So, in order to be able to re-connect to unraid after the first step (disable bond) also plug in eth0 into your ISP-Box first.
    Then perform these steps (disable bond, enable bridge with all three NICs).
  • maybe you need to restart unraid box, unplug eth0 of unraid (when unraid reboot is required unplug it while unraid is still booting) and also unplug 1G from your desktop (you can plug in again later, if things go wrong

...your dektop now should be able to access unraid and internet via the 10G connection.

The isp box is the only thing I'm using. It has just 1 10g port, 4 eithernet ports. I have the 10 g port running unraid, using the 1 nic card. it has doubled my VPN speed. For some reason I have always had very slow speeds. I have went from 10 Mbps to 20. Still not very good. Can live with that. I'm assuming the nic card is the reason. I tried everything in the past, nothing worked. I tried bonding those before,  might have did it wrong. I will try your suggestion,  one step at a time see if that helps. First time ever I have never bridged my router with my isp box. I have a fibre line for the first time, thought it might be better not to bridge. So far been good. Thank you. 

12 minutes ago, Badboy said:

The isp box is the only thing I'm using. It has just 1 10g port, 4 eithernet ports.

[...]

First time ever I have never bridged my router with my isp box. I have a fibre line for the first time, thought it might be better not to bridge. 

Wait, so you have that ISP-Box, which has 5 Ports and in addition to that you have a Router?

If so - although I am pretty much convinced that this is unrelated to your unraid setup - please draw a short diagram, with all components in use in your network (ISP-Box, Router, unraid, Desktop) and state make & model of each. Also draw the individual wired connections between and state what type they are (1G or 10G).

By disabling bonding in unraid and adding all ethernet ports to a bridge, the bridge will hold the single IP for unraid, even if you fan-out and connect each link to individual components (think of the bridge in unraid as a virtual (software based) ethernet switch).

7 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

Wait, so you have that ISP-Box, which has 5 Ports and in addition to that you have a Router?

If so - although I am pretty much convinced that this is unrelated to your unraid setup - please draw a short diagram, with all components in use in your network (ISP-Box, Router, unraid, Desktop) and state make & model of each. Also draw the individual wired connections between and state what type they are (1G or 10G).

By disabling bonding in unraid and adding all ethernet ports to a bridge, the bridge will hold the single IP for unraid, even if you fan-out and connect each link to individual components (think of the bridge in unraid as a virtual (software based) ethernet switch).

Just the ISP Box. No router connected. I'm going through your steps right now.

19 minutes ago, Badboy said:

Here's the settings I just used. Didn't work.  Unraid's UI wouldn't even load.

Settings looks OK.

So, when you did not get to unraid UI, the situation was setup like this...

• in unraid eth1 was connected to ISP-box (10G)
  • in unraid eth2 was connected to desktop (10G)
  • in unraid eth0 (1g) was disconnected from ISP-box
  • in desktop, 1G was disconnected from ISP-box

????

Did you reboot your desktop?

Did you try to ping the unraid IP from your desktop?

What is the output from a "arp -a" command from commandline on your desktop?

When you (leave unraiud bridge settings as shown in your pic)

• connect desktop 1G and unraid eth0 (1G) zu your isp-box
  • *and* disconnect 10G from desktop and eth1 (10G) from unraid....

...does that work?

If so, will it still work, when

• you disconnect the 1G from desktop
  • connect desktop 10G to isp-box (so unraid only connected with eth0/1G)

????

15 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

Settings looks OK.

So, when you did not get to unraid UI, the situation was setup like this...

• in unraid eth1 was connected to ISP-box (10G)
  • in unraid eth2 was connected to desktop (10G)
  • in unraid eth0 (1g) was disconnected from ISP-box
  • in desktop, 1G was disconnected from ISP-box

????

Did you reboot your desktop?

Did you try to ping the unraid IP from your desktop?

What is the output from a "arp -a" command from commandline on your desktop?

When you (leave unraiud bridge settings as shown in your pic)

• connect desktop 1G and unraid eth0 (1G) zu your isp-box
  • *and* disconnect 10G from desktop and eth1 (10G) from unraid....

...does that work?

If so, will it still work, when

• you disconnect the 1G from desktop
  • connect desktop 10G to isp-box (so unraid only connected with eth0/1G)

????

Actually, it is eth 2 that runs from the unraid server to the 10 gig port on the isp box. I watched the other card on the back of the server it did not light up. There is no cable in the motherboard ethernet port. Not sure why Eth0 is showing. The cards are the only, connections active. Eth1 and Eth2. That one setting is that suppose to be Active backup (1)? Not sure why it is not working. Those settings make sense. Makes you want to pull your hair out. Lol

34 minutes ago, Badboy said:

Actually, it is eth 2 that runs from the unraid server to the 10 gig port on the isp box.

nevermind...so one 10G goes to the ISP box and eth0/1G is not connected at all...does unraid have Internet (do you have a keyboard/mouse/monitor directly attached so you could test by booting into local gui mode?

I watched the other card on the back of the server it did not light up.

It will only do that if there is a cable connected, i think...is there and is the other end of that cable connected to your desktop?

strange, that is does not show a link.

There is no cable in the motherboard ethernet port. Not sure why Eth0 is showing.

Because the card/NIC has a loaded driver...if there is a cable or not does not matter.

The cards are the only, connections active. Eth1 and Eth2. That one setting is that suppose to be Active backup (1)?

No, it is a bridged setup...all ports are interconnected, like with a switch.

Not sure why it is not working. Those settings make sense. Makes you want to pull your hair out. Lol

Maybe start with less complex steps.

• still disbale bond mode, enable bridge mode
  • change the numbering, so that eth1 10G is connected to your ISP-box.
  • remove eth0 and eth2 from the bridge
  • connect the new eth1 10G to isp-box
  • disconnect eth0 and eth2 from unraid
  • connect 1G of desktop to ISP box.

...does this work?

Change / swap eth1 for eth2.... so we can test the second 10G card in unraid this way

Then swap 10G to 1G on unraid (remove eth1 and eth2 from bridge, add eth0 to bridge) and ISP-Box and connect desktop with 10G to isp-box (disconnect its 1G)

Does this still work?

28 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

nevermind...so one 10G goes to the ISP box and eth0/1G is not connected at all...does unraid have Internet (do you have a keyboard/mouse/monitor directly attached so you could test by booting into local gui mode?

It will only do that if there is a cable connected, i think...is there and is the other end of that cable connected to your desktop?

Because the card/NIC has a loaded driver...if there is a cable or not does not matter.

...does this work?

Change / swap eth1 for eth2.... so we can test the second 10G card in unraid this way

Then swap 10G to 1G on unraid (remove eth1 and eth2 from bridge, add eth0 to bridge) and ISP-Box and connect desktop with 10G to isp-box (disconnect its 1G)

Does this still work?

I did have the cable connected. I will try some of those suggestions tomorrow and let you know. I have a few plex users on right now. Have a good night. Appreciate your time. 

9 hours ago, Badboy said:

I did have the cable connected. I will try some of those suggestions tomorrow and let you know. I have a few plex users on right now. Have a good night. Appreciate your time. 

I see, no woories.

I suspect that there is something not working correctly but it is not that easy from text info remotely.

Another option could be to deploy a 10G switch in between, ;-) you know...just sayin

Edit: When you made sure, that the first 10G NIC connection to your ISP-Box is working (second 10G NIC not part of bridge or bond, like I suggested to start with above), try this: 

...but I would not consider that a smooth scenario, as with your desktop you'll have to consider which path to take for connecting unraid.

Edited by Ford Prefect
On 10/24/2021 at 5:19 PM, Ford Prefect said:

...does this work?

Does this still work?

Hi,
I wanted to keep you up to date because you have taken the effort to help me.  I did reverse eth1 and 2,  removed the cards, put them back in, rebooted modem, desktop etc. I still can't get it to work🥶 When I bond all three the cards in the dashboard looks like they are active.  I was going to try and delete Eth0 and just bond the 2 cards. I was afraid I would break the network settings, or the dockers. Need to think about this. It has to be doable. LOL...Thanks again. I will let you know.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:32 PM, Badboy said:

Hi,
I wanted to keep you up to date because you have taken the effort to help me.  I did reverse eth1 and 2,  removed the cards, put them back in, rebooted modem, desktop etc. I still can't get it to work🥶 When I bond all three the cards in the dashboard looks like they are active.  I was going to try and delete Eth0 and just bond the 2 cards. I was afraid I would break the network settings, or the dockers. Need to think about this. It has to be doable. LOL...Thanks again. I will let you know.

On the back of the server I switched the cables eth1 and eth2 around.  Server still had internet. Both those cards are working. Just can't seem to get the connection from the desktop to one of those cards to work.

5 minutes ago, Badboy said:

On the back of the server I switched the cables eth1 and eth2 around.  Server still had internet. Both those cards are working. Just can't seem to get the connection from the desktop to one of those cards to work.

I don't have a cable into Eth0, switch is the motherboard port. Would that make a difference? 

Edited by Badboy
3 minutes ago, Badboy said:

...so this is in bridge-mode only (no bonding) in unraid?

In that case, you might have a problem with your desktop, finding the correct IP-Route.

In your desktop, what is the output of the following commands when entered into a commandline shell:

• ipconfig
  • route print -4

Also, please post your unRaid diagnostics.zip

4 minutes ago, Badboy said:

I don't have a cable into Eth0, switch is the motherboard port. Would that make a difference? 

...depends.

Sorry, unable to post till tomorrow. I will do that. Might be getting closer. Lol... Thank you. 

By chance do you know if something like thishttps://www.amazon.ca/dp/B086WCRFQ3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_A43ZXGKEJ5JKA1R4JJVP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Would work with Unraid. Just want it for backing up Plex in case unraid crashes. Have about 25Tb of data. Was going to build it inside my unraid tower., but this way I only have to run it every 2 or 3 days. Drawing enough power these days. 

12 hours ago, Ford Prefect said:

...see my reply in your Original post. I think it would not work, as it seems to be a thing in need of QNAP based software (at least in order to set it up).

Would you have any recommendations for a drive rack. Maybe something that can be shut down well not in use? I'm leaning towards maybe just building the backup pool in my unraid server. I have the room  probably backup quicker. We will see. Just trying to saving a little power, but don't think that is going to be possible. 

...why not go for a second unRaid server?

Maybe only with 8GB RAM as there won't be much need for VMs or Dockers running, but with a large NVMe as cache, large enough to hold your differential backups.

There is no immediate need for a 10G Card, don't you think?

But if there is, you'll have to invest in a 10G Switch then - which would solve your other problem from the top of this thread right away, wouldn't it ;-)

I have a 24 bay unraid as my cold store....

You might be right.  I thought about both of those ideas. Not sure what type of switch to get, like to get my server, desktop, and maybe another raid server on internal 10gig.. I have a 20 bay Thermaltake case. I built it a little future proof. I really appreciate your input. I always like to know other people's ideas and equipment. 

I seen this on Youtube. I think you can turn these into servers.  https://www.newegg.ca/norco-rpc-4224/p/N82E16811219038

Have a good night.

That case is nice..I know, because I have this as my 24bay server...

But, this version linked has 4x80mm fans in the middle section..there is a replacement mountinmg panel using 3x 120mm fans, which will allow going much more silent.

You'll have to replace the Fans in 99% of the cases, as the stock ones are shrieking loud.

Suitable for ATX-PSU and a large MB it is a good design.....however, today this is old.

As PCI has evolved into PCIe and SATA/SAS from SATA II/III to SAS 12Gps.

Hence I would look into a case with 12Gbps SAS/SATA backplanes (well, SATA still goes up to 6Gbps, but SAS drives are on the market as well) and a HBA with PCIev3x8 and 24 ports is possible nowadays, like: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9305-24i ... more future proof.

When I started this, pulled parts from servers were rare and a HBA needed cross-flashing ;-)

For a Switch, I recommend Mikrotik.

A nice 10G switch is the CRS309 https://mikrotik.com/product/crs309_1g_8s_in ....although - in your case - passive and all SFP+, which means you need some 10G-T Modules (warning, these get HOT, so you cannot populate all ports with them). If you do not need a structured cable infrastructure but can use "flying" wires, I'd recommend a SFP+ DAC (max 7meters) or Fiber modules....or go for a https://mikrotik.com/product/crs312_4c_8xg_rm

If you are im need for a central switch but with 10G ports for Servers as well, I'd look into this: https://mikrotik.com/product/crs326_24s_2q_rm

You can turn a QSFP+ port into one with 4x10G, with this: https://www.fs.com/products/48867.html ... connect up to 4 Servers/clients to a single port on the switch.

A very good and professional service place to buy 10G "cables" & transceivers from is fs.com.

For 10G cards, look into Mellanox connectX-3...get them cheap off the-bay, from china.

1 hour ago, Ford Prefect said:

That case is nice..I know, because I have this as my 24bay server...

But, this version linked has 4x80mm fans in the middle section..there is a replacement mountinmg panel using 3x 120mm fans, which will allow going much more silent.

You'll have to replace the Fans in 99% of the cases, as the stock ones are shrieking loud.

Suitable for ATX-PSU and a large MB it is a good design.....however, today this is old.

As PCI has evolved into PCIe and SATA/SAS from SATA II/III to SAS 12Gps.

Hence I would look into a case with 12Gbps SAS/SATA backplanes (well, SATA still goes up to 6Gbps, but SAS drives are on the market as well) and a HBA with PCIev3x8 and 24 ports is possible nowadays, like: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9305-24i ... more future proof.

When I started this, pulled parts from servers were rare and a HBA needed cross-flashing ;-)

For a Switch, I recommend Mikrotik.

A nice 10G switch is the CRS309 https://mikrotik.com/product/crs309_1g_8s_in ....although - in your case - passive and all SFP+, which means you need some 10G-T Modules (warning, these get HOT, so you cannot populate all ports with them). If you do not need a structured cable infrastructure but can use "flying" wires, I'd recommend a SFP+ DAC (max 7meters) or Fiber modules....or go for a https://mikrotik.com/product/crs312_4c_8xg_rm

If you are im need for a central switch but with 10G ports for Servers as well, I'd look into this: https://mikrotik.com/product/crs326_24s_2q_rm

You can turn a QSFP+ port into one with 4x10G, with this: https://www.fs.com/products/48867.html ... connect up to 4 Servers/clients to a single port on the switch.

A very good and professional service place to buy 10G "cables" & transceivers from is fs.com.

For 10G cards, look into Mellanox connectX-3...get them cheap off the-bay, from china.

Cool, 

Do you know if that rack comes in 12 disk? I'm going to buying 16tb disks. 

If I buy the switch, I plug that cable into it and get 4 10g outlets? 

Curious, what parts do you have in your rack? Like you said before, probably don't have to go overkill. I read you would need to switch the fans. 

Can you not use cat 7 cabling For the 10 gig connections? 

10 hours ago, Badboy said:

Do you know if that rack comes in 12 disk? I'm going to buying 16tb disks. 

There are tons of cases in 2U 12 bays, however most likely they will not allow for deploying an ATX-style PSU...and will only allow for 80mm fans.

If you can cope with the sound level, is something for you to decide. Finding less noisier fans of the same form factor is not a real problem, as the usual suspects like Noctua have them.

If I buy the switch, I plug that cable into it and get 4 10g outlets? 

In this special Port configuration, yes. Edit: but only for connecting to SFP+ ports on the other side

Curious, what parts do you have in your rack? Like you said before, probably don't have to go overkill. I read you would need to switch the fans. 

There is no need...depends on your comfort zone.

I did so with my cold storage server

Also all my components in my rack are either passive or equipped / refitted with less noisier fans.

Can you not use cat 7 cabling For the 10 gig connections? 

Well, you can to the fact of takeing additional costs.

While RJ45 Copper is commodity today, surprisingly it is not for 10G or even 40G networks.

The standard in 10G, in a Server is SFP+

Connections in a Rack, or short "wires" across cabinets are done with a DAC cable (https://www.fs.com/products/30856.html) ... you can get even cheaper ones from amazon.

Standard "cabling" is done by fiber optics "wire", using two transceiver modules and a fiber "patch-cable".

10GB-T modules and cards are more expensive, produce a lot of heat from their chipsets as of today and need better cabling, for length of only up to 80m for the newest technology https://www.fs.com/products/87588.html?attribute=77&id=274068 (standard 30m https://www.fs.com/products/66613.html?attribute=77&id=274067)

I am using 10GB-T only for creating a 10G backbone between my cabinet and existing LAN cabling in my home (still cat5e).

In my cabinet I have a https://mikrotik.com/product/CRS326-24G-2SplusRM and using a https://mikrotik.com/product/css610_8g_2s_in with a pair of these https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10 ... stable 10G even over 18m cat5e wires to the home-office room upstairs.

In my cabinet, for connecting servers, router (https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm) and switches via 10G I uses the CRS309 https://mikrotik.com/product/crs309_1g_8s_in

For driving PoE equipment I use this: https://www.digitus.info/produkte/aktive-netzwerkkomponenten/power-over-ethernet-poe/poe-injektoren/dn-95116/ and modded the fans ;-)

small, decentral switches I use are these: https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dgs-1100-pd-series-gigabit-smart-switches PoE+ powered themselves, and capable of driving a WiFi AP or Camera or else via PoE+ out as well.

For starting small, in your case, with already 3 devices in 10GB-T in hand, I'd recommend either a CRS309 + 3x 10GB-T modules from fs.com/Mikrotik (mind you, the CRS is passive, so deploy only every second port with a 10GB-T module to avoid overheating) or something like https://www.newegg.ca/p/0XP-0009-00283?Description=XS1930&cm_re=XS1930-_-9SIA90RDC96420-_-Product

..or sell your stuff, get a CRS305 https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in, one 10GB-T module for your ISP-Box connection and Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards https://www.ebay.ca/itm/153991705362?hash=item23da9ef312:g:DTYAAOSwsDNe~fTp with DACs for your Server and Desktop (if you don't need to use CAT/Copper cables inside your wall).

Edited by Ford Prefect