video=efifb:off,vesafb:off not working in UNRAID 6.10-rc1

Hi all!

I'm trying to fix a vfio binding issue. I have 2 GPU's in my server, and I'm able to pass the 2ND GPU to my VM's with the integrated VFIO-PCI plugin that comes with unraid 6.10. However, when I try to bind the 1rst GPU (checking all 4 NVIDIA devices, just like the 2nd GPU) it will freeze on boot when it comes to vfio-pci.... in the boot sequence. 

I read that disabling the framebuffer can help the system bind boot device GPU's, so I'm not trying to disable the unraid framebuffer when it boots from GRUB in hopes it will allow the 1rst GPU to bind as well instead of just freezing the PC on boot.

I have tried this in my GRUB config, but to no avail, the framebuffer is still visible no matter what I do. Has anyone had any success with these methods on NVidia cards to disable the video output on boot?

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot pci=noaer pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction  video=efifb:off,vesafb:off,vesa:off

When I boot I get this, even with the video=efifb:off... Here is a screen shot of the vfio-pci freezing. I've also attached a diagnostic or my server (when I don't try to bind the 1rst GPU).

247015496-572501960639513-33266642813468

tower-diagnostics-20211024-1104.zip

On 10/24/2021 at 5:09 PM, lachinois said:

Hi all!

I'm trying to fix a vfio binding issue. I have 2 GPU's in my server, and I'm able to pass the 2ND GPU to my VM's with the integrated VFIO-PCI plugin that comes with unraid 6.10. However, when I try to bind the 1rst GPU (checking all 4 NVIDIA devices, just like the 2nd GPU) it will freeze on boot when it comes to vfio-pci.... in the boot sequence. 

I read that disabling the framebuffer can help the system bind boot device GPU's, so I'm not trying to disable the unraid framebuffer when it boots from GRUB in hopes it will allow the 1rst GPU to bind as well instead of just freezing the PC on boot.

I have tried this in my GRUB config, but to no avail, the framebuffer is still visible no matter what I do. Has anyone had any success with these methods on NVidia cards to disable the video output on boot?

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot pci=noaer pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction  video=efifb:off,vesafb:off,vesa:off

When I boot I get this, even with the video=efifb:off... Here is a screen shot of the vfio-pci freezing. I've also attached a diagnostic or my server (when I don't try to bind the 1rst GPU).

247015496-572501960639513-33266642813468

tower-diagnostics-20211024-1104.zip 79.64 kB · 0 downloads

As ghost wrote it already. The bootarg still works as it should and as you see. Your monitor just freezed up where Unraid stopped using your monitor. (Like a frozen Picture) xD

• 10 months later...

Reviving this from the dead. When you guys say it's "freezing" the output, in my case I still get a blinking cursor, so it doesn't appear to be frozen. I'm trying to passthrough an iGPU and I got it working briefly, but once I rebooted the unraid box with hdmi plugged in, I can no longer get it working for some odd reason. All I get is this console output, and when I start the VM it still shows this console output from Unraid.